𝗷𝗶𝘆𝗼𝗼 | love reigns

Ship: JiU, Yoohyeon
Members Are:
In a Fantasy AU
Categories: Angst, Fluff, Romance
Summary: Princess Yoohyeon and her attendant Minji receive some painful news that prompts them to visit their safe place together one last time.

"Your Highness, His Majesty the King requests your presence in the dining room."

The thirteen doom-filled words uttered by Lee Siyeon, one of her attendants, was enough to make Princess Kim Yoohyeon shudder; but she hid the reaction with ease and nodded once to assert that she had received the message before standing up to follow Siyeon out the door.

"Yooh – Your Highness!" a voice protested from behind her. "I-I didn't finish putting the flower in your hair, Your Highness." Kim Minji, Princess Yoohyeon's right-hand attendant, was already kicking herself for nearly calling Yoohyeon by her first name on accident. Only between the two of them did their secret lie: that they were in love, not merely in a royal duty relationship.

"It's okay, Minji," Yoohyeon smiled kindly, but her eyes were sad when she turned back to see Minji sitting on the floor, holding a sprig of baby's breath and a thin satin ribbon. "As long as the braid is tied."

"It is, Your Highness," Minji replied, glancing down at the floor as she spoke. It pained her to see the look on Yoohyeon's face, one that she could read quite easily.

His Majesty the King was certainly a good ruler, but a good father, he was not. He often made questionable choices and treated his daughter unfairly and unkindly, and as of late, there had been much talk amongst the maid-service about the King arranging a marriage for Yoohyeon. Of course, Minji had relayed the information to Yoohyeon so she could mentally prepare, and Minji could tell that that was exactly what Yoohyeon was doing as the two of them followed Siyeon down the castle halls.

As Yoohyeon's right-hand assistant, Minji was lucky enough to be able to go with Yoohyeon nearly everywhere she went. It was especially convenient in situations like these, when she could stand behind Yoohyeon at the large wooden table where the King had been waiting and listen to the entire conversation without need for sneaky eavesdropping.

The King wasted no time. Only a few mentions of other things – checking on Yoohyeon's studies and question of that sort – were exchanged before he announced, "I have found a suitable husband for you. I have gone through great lengths of trouble to find someone who will be very good for our kingdom, and I have found one, finally. He and his family will be here the day after tomorrow to pick you up and bring you to his castle, where you may settle in in your own wing before the wedding."

"Father!" Yoohyeon spoke sharply, and Minji jumped. She saw the instant change in the King's expression, his eyes widening in anger as Yoohyeon continued, "I don't want to marry a strange man!"

"Do you not appreciate my hard work? All this searching to find someone who will benefit our kingdom? You have no respect!" The King yelled.

Yoohyeon was used to his temper tantrums, but Minji was a bit shocked, and she stayed frozen for a moment in surprise before she scurried after Yoohyeon out of the room and down the long, winding halls to Yoohyeon's bedroom. Minji was just able to slide in before Yoohyeon slammed and locked the door, turning so that her back faced the wooden surface and sliding down to sit on the ground, covering her face with her hands as sobs began to wrack her chest.

"I knew this couldn't last forever," Yoohyeon managed to choke out very quietly between tears. Minji had to strain to understand her. She didn't quite know what to say in response, but Yoohyeon continued talking anyways, so Minji just sat beside her. "All those nights you would sneak out of your chambers to be here with me...we will have them no more."