𝗴𝗮𝗵𝗱𝗼𝗻𝗴 | airplane

Ship: Handong, Gahyeon
Members Are: In a Non-DC AU
Categories: Fluff
Summary: On a dreaded plane ride, Gahyeon's beautiful seatmate Handong distracts her.

Gahyeon has a secret.

She's terrified of flying.

But it's not such a secret as she keeps glancing out the window, only to face forward again a second later with anxiety written all over her face. Her best friend, Lee Dami, is several rows ahead – there was a mix-up with the seating, and it was the best they could get; there weren't two seats available together. If she had Dami to distract her, she might be better off.

But there's a stranger next to her instead, and a very attractive one, at that. Gahyeon is too distracted by her nerves to pay much attention, however. She gave the woman a once-over when she sat down, but now, she couldn't even describe her if she tried. Blonde hair, isn't it?

She sneaks a peek, curiosity making her forget her stress for a moment. But when she looks over, she does a double take. The woman is already looking right into Gahyeon's eyes.

Concern is etched into them, and she gives Gahyeon a soft smile. "Are you okay?" she asks.

Gahyeon opens and closes her mouth like a fish. She's so taken aback by the woman's lovely voice that it takes her a second to register what was said – and then her anxiety comes rushing back. She nods, giving a weak smile in return, and rests her head back against the seat. She stares straight ahead this time, trying her hardest not to look at the woman through her peripheral vision.

It works for about two minutes, until the plane seems to go over a bump. It's just like in a car – only, when she's in a car, Gahyeon doesn't yelp.

Thoroughly embarrassed, she sinks down in her seat, slumping as far as her seatbelt will allow.

This time, she can't ignore her seatmate turning her head and ripping out her headphones. "Are you okay?!"

Gahyeon looks over, trying to feign calm. "I – I hate planes." Yeah, no kidding, she thinks to herself. That's obvious. Why did I say that? "The first plane ride I took was awful. It was filled with turbulence, and it was so scary. That's why I hate them now."

"I fly all the time. It's gonna be okay. And by the way, turbulence is nothing to worry about, although I know it seems scary. The most it can do to you is make you bump into something if you don't have your seatbelt on – and that's in the worst cases."

Gahyeon breathes a little, surprisingly soothed by the woman's words. "Okay."

"I'm Han Dong – just like that, call me Handong."

"Got it. I'm Lee Gahyeon."

Handong sticks out her hand with a grin. "Nice to meet you."

Gahyeon grasps it, returning the expression. "Likewise."

Handong's already distracted, however. "You're shaking!" she exclaims.

"Oh, it's just, ah, anxiety, it'll go away eventually—"

"Oh, honey..."

Gahyeon's heart jumps even more than it did a minute ago. Handong is holding tightly to her hand, murmuring soft things as she looks worriedly at their interwoven fingers. Gahyeon giggles nervously, having suddenly forgotten all about where they are.

Handong rubs her free hand over Gahyeon's briskly. "You're okay," she soothes her. "I've got you."

"T-Thanks," Gahyeon stammers. A bright red blush has already overspread her cheeks. At that, it tinges her ears, too.