𝟮𝘆𝗼𝗼 | place to dream

Parts: 4
Ship: Yoohyeon, Dami
Members Are: In a Non-DC AU
Categories: Fluff
Summary: When Yoohyeon walks into the bookstore where Yubin works one day, Yubin realizes with the help of her boss Minji that some real-life stories can be just as magical as the ones in the novels that she reads.

Part I

Ever since she was a child, Lee Yubin always had her nose in a book. It was a habit her parents had encouraged rather than discouraged, purchasing for her whatever she so fancied from the local bookstore and allowing her to all but live at the local library. As she grew older, the habit turned into a hobby, a collection, and finally, a job – though Yubin really considered reading to be her entire life. Thus was the reason she was sitting behind the wooden counter of Dreamcatcher Books with her nose buried in a fresh copy of the latest installment in her current series obsession, just as she did every Monday through Saturday from nine o'clock in the morning until seven o'clock in the evening.

It was customary for Yubin to be perched on her favorite worn-out stool behind the counter, only glancing up when someone approached her. Occasionally, those waiting to make a purchase from the bookstore would have to ring the bell on the counter to attract Yubin's attention, even though they were right in front of her.

Yubin's boss, Kim Minji, often said that she was sure Yubin didn't even know she herself was speaking when she automatically said "Welcome to Dreamcatcher Books, let me know if I can help you find something," every time she heard the bell above the door jingle. Yubin would offer a slight laugh at the comment each time it was made, knowing that Minji was right, but not particularly wanting to own up to the fact.

Oftentimes, the speech would come out in a mumble, especially if Yubin was particularly entranced by the novel in her hands, as she currently was. "WelcometoDreamcatcherBooks...uhh...let me know...if you...needhelpwithsomething," Yubin said as a subconscious level of her brain recognized that a customer had walked through the door.

"Oh, yes, actually, I do need help," Yubin faintly heard a light, melodic voice speak. That sentence didn't quite register in her mind the way that the familiar jingle of the bell above the door did, however, and neither did the soft "Excuse me?" asked a moment later. Only when its owner cleared their throat and very lightly tapped the bell on the counter did Yubin finally tear her eyes away from the pages of her book right near the end of a cliffhanger chapter, much to her annoyance.

"Yes?" Yubin questioned, trying but inevitably failing to keep her anger out of her voice as her eyes met the person in front of her. The moment they registered the beautiful girl's shy smile, however, Yubin regretted every word she had spoken since said woman had walked into the bookstore moments earlier. Suddenly, her novel seemed like it was the least important thing on Earth. All she wanted to do was admire the maiden who looked like she had just walked straight out of the pages of a fairytale, one who was living and breathing – and speaking to her. Her slim build, honey blonde hair, wide chocolate orbs, rosy cheeks – they all made Yubin's heart thunder instatnly.

"H-Hi," the blonde said. "I-I was wondering if you had any books in English, a-and if you could point me towards them."

Yubin wasn't a woman of many words. She preferred to read them, write them, and occasionally listen to them, but to speak them was not her ideal. So whenever she did say something, Yubin selected her words sparingly and with utter simplicity. This occasion was no exception. "I do. Follow me."

Yubin tucked a stray bookmark into her novel and set it aside on her stool before brushing past the wooden counter, leading the blonde past aisles comprised of shelves to a section on the opposite side of the store.