𝟮𝘆𝗼𝗼 | focus on you

Ship: Yoohyeon, Dami
Members Are:
In a Non-DC AU
Categories: Angst, Fluff
Summary: Yubin is forced to choose between her girlfriend Minji and her best friend Yoohyeon when tensions come to a peak.

"You've been doing your makeup for an hour now," Lee Yubin called out her bedroom window in the direction of her best friend's house, leaning her arms on the sill for dramatic effect. "You stopped looking any different thirty minutes ago. Can we leave yet? We're already going to be late."

"Okay, okay, fine," Kim Yoohyeon replied, rolling her eyes and grabbing her duffel bag from the back of her makeup chair. "Are you sure that I look alright?"

"Of course you do," Yubin sighed. "You always look great."

"So do you," Yoohyeon grinned, her index finger pressing against the mesh screen as she looked out her own bedroom window, gesturing to Yubin's pants. "Don't get any grass stains on those today, now."

"That was one time," Yubin hissed. "So, are you ready?"

"Yeah."

"Okay, I'll meet you outside." Yubin closed her window with the shove of an elbow and grabbed her own bag, racing down the stairs to the main level of her house. The cool evening air outside gave her a bit of a chill through her hoodie, and she suddenly hoped that Yoohyeon was going to be warm enough.

"It's freezing."

Yubin sighed as she looked up at Yoohyeon, who was dressed in a skimpy tank top and ripped skinny jeans, rubbing her bare arms with a frown. "You know, if you wore clothes that were appropriate for the weather, you wouldn't have a problem right now."

"You're so mean," Yoohyeon whined, shoving her best friend's side as she joined her on the sidewalk, beginning to walk towards their high school.

"Here, hold this," Yubin grumbled, dumping her bag into Yoohyeon's arms before she shrugged off her sweatshirt and stood on her tiptoes to pull it over her best friend's head. When she managed to get it around Yoohyeon's neck, she could see a huge grin on the taller girl's face, and she simply shook her head at her. "You just wanted me to give you my hoodie, didn't you?"

"Good thing that it's oversized on you, or else it would be too short on me," Yoohyeon said simply in response, adjusting the sleeves with a rather prim expression on her face.

The walk to their high school was not terribly long, but by the time that they got there, Yubin was nearly shivering, trying her hardest to hide the chill that she felt. "You don't mind if I hang onto this, do you?" Yoohyeon asked, her hands still shoved in the pocket of Yubin's sweatshirt. "I'll need it when I get off of the field, cause I didn't bring a blanket today."

"Yeah, sure, Yooh," Yubin replied, giving her best friend a smile that she hoped didn't look too forced. "Go ahead."

"Thanks! Alrighty then, I'll see you later, Yubs."

"See you."

"Hey, where were you? You better be ready in five."

"Gee, thanks for the warm welcome," Yubin grumbled in response, giving Lee Siyeon a look of contempt as she practically ran past her bandmate, though she heeded the older girl's instructions at once.

By the time that they had gotten onto the field at last, Yubin had nearly forgotten all about the hoodie that she had entrusted to her best friend. That is, until a certain high and rather sharp voice suddenly appeared to remind her. "Binnie!" Kim Minji called, her long ponytail swishing down the back of her shockingly white cheer top. The outfit, even with its tiny skirt that showed off her girlfriend's long legs, didn't even phase Yubin anymore. She was usually distracted by whatever Minji was telling her off for when she was wearing it.

"Hi, Jiji," Yubin replied, yet another forced smile plastered on her face as she turned to greet her girlfriend. The raven-haired girl's sickly sweet tone had told Yubin all that she needed to know, although she knew she was about to get an earful of it anyways.

"Why would you do this to me?" Minji hissed through gritted teeth as she finally got close enough to Yubin that she could be heard clearly. "Right before I perform what you know is the hardest routine that I've ever done for the first time?"

"Jiji, honey, she was just cold. You've taken nearly every hoodie that I own. I don't see why Yoohyeon borrowing one for the night could be such a big deal."

"You know it was wrong, Yubin," Minji whispered, her eyes hard as she glared at her girlfriend. "I didn't even have to tell you anything for you to know what you did."

"Everything I do is wrong to you, Minji. Even stupid, childish stuff like this," Yubin yelled over the announcement that was being blasted from the speakers. "We'll talk about it later, okay? We don't have time for this right now."

"You know what? I know that you'll never make the time for me, Yubin. You'll just be spending all of it with Yoohyeon, anyways. So you can have it your way. We're done, got it? It's over."

That was Minji, alright, Yubin thought to herself with a sigh as she watched the cheerleader stalk away while Siyeon nudged her, a silent indication that she should get ready to walk out onto the field. Her feelings are always someone else's fault.

Yubin tried her best to push all of her thoughts out of her mind as she performed with her bandmates, she really did. But as she saw Yoohyeon by her side, twirling her white and gold flag in the short blue dress that Yubin loved so much on her, she couldn't help but smile at the way that her best friend looked so focused, a proud grin on her face as she flawlessly performed the routine that Yubin could see her practicing in her room every night.

Yubin was almost too focused on Yoohyeon to see the way that Kim Bora wrapped her arms around Minji as she leaned against her teammate's shoulder and the way that Bora visibly sighed, biting her lip as she hesitantly took Minji's hand in her own.

"Hey, Yubs," Yubin suddenly heard over the sound of the band – a voice that she could recognize anywhere. She shot a glance in the direction of the sound to see Yoohyeon smiling at her. "Try to focus on you."

So when the cheerleaders began their routine as soon as she reached the edge of the field, for the first time in her life, Yubin didn't give Minji so much as a glance as she pulled off stunt after stunt, even as the crowd went wild. No, instead, Yubin watched as Yoohyeon ran directly for the hoodie that she had left on the bleachers and pulled it on, her bright-as-sunshine grin sparkling as she turned to find her best friend.

"Over here, Yooh." Yubin opened her arms wide as Yoohyeon ran over, and she grabbed the taller girl in her arms, scooping her up and holding her tightly.

"What are you doing?" Yoohyeon whispered into Yubin's ear urgently. "Where is Minji? She won't like this, you know."

"Minji who?" Yubin smiled as she set Yoohyeon down, finally realizing that the cheerleaders, who had finished their routine, were all shooting them dirty looks. "I believe that, in her words, 'we're done.'"

"Oh, Yubs, I'm sorry," Yoohyeon replied, her eyes wide. "Are you okay?"

"Never been better," Yubin replied truthfully.

"Is that why you kept looking at her during the routine? And when I told you to focus on yourself, you just looked at me instead! Seriously, Yubin..." Yoohyeon admonished, shaking her head.

"Oh, is that what you meant?" Yubin hummed, slinging her arm over Yoohyeon's shoulder as she led them off of the field. "I must have thought that you said 'focus on Yooh.'"