CHAPTER - 15

"Dash of Chaos."

Aagnay

2020

Legacy.

Greatness, perfection, and being the best are the ideals I grew up with. That's what I had been made to believe ever since I was a kid. Pristine and legendary; and how do you achieve that? By following the rules and working harder than everyone else—by giving up things nobody else would, remain focused, and never fall out of the line.

I had always aced it—victory has been my second nature. In other words, rules were the only way I had to live which only made sense why I had to be a part of the community dinner this month. I was allowed to sit with the adults at the table. I sure made my father proud after our last arrangement.

My mother's smile broke free as she peered at my reflection in the mirror and I adjusted my knotted tie deftly. "That's your father's tie," she remarked and my eyes flicked on her reflection. "You look better with that." Breathe. I had to remind myself.

"In light of the upcoming traditions," I murmured and watched her take her seat on the upholstered sofa across my room. "It seemed like the right thing to do." I pivoted to face her and she beamed.

"You never let us down Aagnay," she said placidly while adjusting her chandelier earring. "I want you to do the same tonight."

"Say no more," I demanded and fetched the suit jacket from the bed. "I have it under control."

"Can you say the same about Ella?" Her tone took an icy turn and she glared at me.

I shrugged into the suit jacket fluidly and glanced at her. "Yes."

"Are you sure?" She pushed to her feet and draped her garment around her arm. "Because the way I see it, she still looks like a threat to us."

My teeth clenched. "I said I'm taking care of it," I muttered sternly and she searched my face, and then she sauntered out of the room.

Over the years, I had attuned myself to keep calm and not lose my fucking temper. Butting heads were for losers; my actions were methodical, precise, and accurate. It was only a matter of time I had it back under my thumb. I had a point to make—my father had to pay.

I fetched my smartphone from the nightstand and glanced at the home screen. It was time Ella knew that my life had no room for mistakes and second chances.

*

ELLAKSHI AHUJA WAS THE LOVE OF MY LIFE or that's what people were meant to believe when they looked at us—two young adults who fit together, deeply in love, perfectly happy with each other but they didn't know—they never looked closely enough and I never let them—love was never the part of our arrangement. It was always about convenience.

My gaze wandered past the banister as Ella appeared, dressed in a cocktail gown that revealed her skin in all appropriate parts. Her red lips curved to a smile as she neared me and I held my arm out for her. She hooked hers with mine and we sauntered towards the lawn.

"You look gorgeous," I told her and she rolled her eyes before she greeted Kunal's father. She pried her grip away and I averted my gaze on him. "It's nice to meet you tonight."

Kunal's father was a tall man—albeit shorter than me but six feet nevertheless. His laughing eyes traveled to my face and he beamed. "You too, son," he said and held his hand out. "I was looking for your father." He darted his eyes around the room. "I don't see him."

I shook it firmly once. "That's because he is yet to arrive," I said and he looked at me. "I drove early because I had to be here with Ella." I glanced at her and she forced a smile at me and then, at him.