CHAPTER - 38

Free lunches do exist. 

Sambhavna 

2020

I descended the stairs while glancing through my plans for the day on my phone—I had so much to do—so many assignments to finish before the exams. My device chimed with a notification and I tapped on it to reveal a text request from The Devil. His simple greeting has made me smile and wonder what he was up to. I dropped my bag on one of the counter and quickly texted him back. I heard the knob click and footfalls followed.

"And there comes the con artist!" Maira jibed and Ella chuckled as I advanced to one of the stalls. I ignored them because I was in no mood for that nonsense. "And she is acting too good to ignore us."

Ella scoffed. "Give that girl some credit M, she managed to reach V behind our backs," she shot and towered over me. I backed away from her, needing the distance for my sanity, and looked away. "What is it, princess? You thought ratting us out to Vaanya will save your ass? What? You thought she's our mother?"

"No I thought she is at least decent to stop you from doing what you are," I snapped back and Maira's head fell back as she laughed. I had no idea what was so comical about that. Ella shoved me and I stumbled back.

"Oh that's rad," Maira said and clicked her tongue. "Sadly Vaanya doesn't have a say in this. If you decide to run with your tail in between your legs at least make sure you run to someone worth it."

My gaze swept around the room to note that there was nobody around in the ladies' except the three of us.

Maira grabbed me by my jaw; her grip was tight when she glowered. "I've had enough with your shit. You're an outcast. You don't deserve to be here and you have the fucking nerve to threaten me?"

"I don't think she understands what she's dealing with," Ella daggered and I caught Maira's wrist to pry away from her grip. Her nails dug into my skin and my back hit against the wall with a thud. I was cornered and terrorized. "So you'd involve the administrations huh? Do you honestly think you can pull this through?"

"Do you know who sponsors the scholarships here?" Maira smirked and glanced at Ella. She cackled. "A little birdie told me you need that, don't you? Your applications have been filed, isn't that right?"

"No, please don't," I pleaded restlessly and she rolled her eyes. "I need that scholarship, please." I was practically begging with whatever dignity was left in me and my eyes stung with fresh tears.

Ella made a tsking noise and I looked at her pleadingly. "See? You look so better when you're desperate for help and nearly groveling."

"Your father has conned a fortune and you're willing to beat the more needy faction of this college," Maira bit out icily. "That scholarship is for students who can't afford to be here. You're not one of them."

"Please, stop," I whimpered lowly and pried out of her grip. "You don't understand. I need it. I have been working hard for that. You can't take that away from me."

"Says who sweetie?" Ella tilted her head and shot. I groaned incredulously and hugged my tummy. The fluorescent lights in the room made it all the more sterile. It hurt my eyes.

"We own this college," Maira said in a matter-of-factly tone and I wiped my tears.

"Doesn't mean you make the rules," I mumbled and glared at her. "That scholarship is mine, believe it or not. You'll have to call it off if you want me to back out."

Maira's nose flared as she snapped. "I don't think you get it." She snatched my phone and threw it across the room. I heard the echoing crash of it against the floor and bit the inside of my cheek. I was not going to give them the satisfaction of ruining me. I had no idea how to buy a new phone and that had all the details of my assignment.