CHAPTER - 24

'Beyond a doubt.'

Ranveer

2015

I grew up with Vaanya Mittal, playing in the community park together, chasing her on the shorelines of Juhu in summer evenings when we were toddlers, building sandcastles with her but as we grew up together I began to tear my gaze away from her. She was too bright for me, too good for me—she didn't belong with me.

We were best friends, attending classes together, running in the same circles but I pulled away, or at least I tried but that didn't faze her. The more I pushed away from her, the harder she pushed back. She was a fucking angel and I couldn't help myself. I remained with her, close as ever, despite my knowledge that once I had her, I wouldn't be able to stop.

I turned into a narrow street as the rain continued to pour. The night lit up with headlights from my vehicle as I headed to my boathouse from a community event. I insisted to get my own space because I couldn't stand to have Vaanya live next door to mine. I couldn't stand the community politics either. Everyone was fake so why care? My ignorance turned into resentment in no time until I stopped caring about what people thought of me. The only opinion that mattered to me belonged to my family.

I glanced at the rear mirror as I pushed a button and a slow melody poured through the stereo. I was too jacked up and I wanted to unwind in my place. I kept my smile to myself as I glanced at the home screen of my phone light up with Vaanya's picture.

As I reached for my phone on the dash, I caught a glance of something—someone shift in front of my vehicle in the periphery of my vision and I kicked the brakes. The tires screeched violently to a jolting halt in the middle of the street. The windshield wipers continued to move on the windscreen as I narrowed my gaze to spot a kid across the hood of my car.

Groaning lowly, I pushed my head out to catch sight of him. "Are you lost?" The little boy hyperventilated as he bolted towards me and I unlocked the door of my vehicle to step outside. "I could have run my car over you. What are you doing here in the middle of the night?" I glanced at the street to spot a scarce of vehicles pass us but there wasn't a soul in sight on the sidewalk.

"Please help me," he mumbled as he caught on to my shirt. He was shivering. One look at him and I knew he was a homeless kid. "Please help me, they will kill me."

I stilled to his pleading tone as he clutched me desperately. "Get in the car," I demanded as I peered at the almost vacant streets to catch the unknown. "Do you want me to drive you to your family?"

He shook his head and rubbed his tiny hands together. "They will kill my family."

I turned on the vents and the blast of hot air made him shiver again. I watched him carefully, noting his bearings. He must have been a seven-year-old by the looks of it, torn clothes, bare feet, and drenched. Goddamn it. Who would kill a homeless kid? He wiped his tears silently and looked out of the window as I began to drive.

The drive was silent for a while until I decided to speak to him. "Are you hungry?"

He turned his blank gaze on me. "What if they kill me?"

"They won't," I told him regardless of my lack of knowledge regarding the situation. I had no idea who was after him but I knew he was safe with me. "They can't reach us. So tell me, what would you like to eat?"

He stared at me and then at the road ahead of us. "Anything," he mumbled and hugged his knees. "I'm hungry."

My smile broke free as I made a one-eighty and switched gears to make a pit stop. It was past midnight and there weren't many restaurants open for service except the ones who ran behind a front of night business license. I was reluctant to shove a kid in a bar but those were the only spots available.