1. Viridian

"Strange name, were your parents hippies?" the woman behind the desk asked with a sneer as I gave her my name.

"Artists" I reply automatically, so used to the question, it was almost predictable each time I gave my name.

"Well, its odd" she muttered, handing me a student council and society welcome pack and checking my name off the list on the electronic pad in front of her. "Go through those door, you will be allocated a guide who will show you round and to your dorm" she said before dismissing me and looking behind me calling "Next"

I bit my lip as I turned, hoping the next check point would be a bit less rude and headed through the archway she indicated, the lecture hall opening up in front of me and I stood in awe looking up at the ceiling, the wooden struts crisscrossing to form an intricate web of beams.

"Viridian Waters?" the older lady manning the next desk asked politely and I swallowed before replying.

"Yes"

She looked up at me and smiled, her gaze catching mine and her smile widened "Yes I can see how well the name fits, your eyes are that perfect shade" she says and I am speechless, my jaw dropping and she lets out a little laugh at me. "You look surprised" she says and I nod.

"No-one has ever made the connection" I tell her still stunned and she nods.

"Ah yes, well I dated an artist for many years and some things stick with you" she laughs again before pulling together another pack of information and an envelope holding a key.

"You have a number of lab based classes, so I am going to find a student who is in similar to show you round, that way if you have any questions they will be able to help you" she explains and I nod, trusting her to know what she was doing.  This was all new to me, before today all of my schooling had been in much, much smaller venues due to living in such a remote area.

"You have a single dorm, with a shared kitchen area but in the pack you will also find your card for the on campus facilities, it is preloaded so you just swipe and go" she explains and I nod again.

"Do you have any transport here, a car, bike?" she questions but I shake my head.

"No"

"Okay dear, if that changes let me know and we can arrange the correct passes for you" she stands and looks over her shoulder, searching the students sat in little groups in the auditorium behind her.

"Jett" the woman calls loudly and I watch shocked as a dark hair male student slowly rises, and rises, god he has to be well over 6ft tall, he slaps hands with the boys he is sat with and heads our way.  I can feel his gaze on me as he reaches us, his curiosity. "Ms Jeffries, who do you have for me?" his voice is warm caramel and I catch a glimpse of the older lady's blush before she introduces us.

"Jett this is Viridian, here is her timetable and room details, she has, like you a number of lab based classes, so if you can show her that area" Ms Jeffries introduces me and explains to him.

"Wow" he mutters out loud as his eyes lock with mine, "Are you wearing contacts" he blurts out

"No" I reply softly and Ms Jeffries huffs from behind her desk.

"Thats enough Jett" she scolds before asking "Ms Waters, would you rather I found someone else to show you round?"

I blush scarlet as he replies before I can. "I am sorry Ms Waters, I promise I did not mean to make you uncomfortable, I would be honoured to show you round... please" he apologises.

"Ms Jeffries?" he checks back with her and she nods, her gaze slipping between Jett and I.

"Welcome to Stirling, I do hope you will be very happy here" she tells me with a smile.