4. Grey

"What the fuck!"  We had all watched as Jett guides the girl from the hall, his gesture telling us he was calling dibs on this one, but he had another thing coming if he thought I wasn't going to check her out.  Small and curvy she was stunning from what I had seen at a distance and she had even made Ms Jeffries laugh and that almost never happened.

That evening Jett had told us all she was not interested in dating, she had told him that and rebuffed every advance he made making it clear she was interested in studying not partying.  He had given us her name... Viridian Waters, unique like her, and basic information, the classes she had and her dorm number and I knew he looked for her when we were out and about but she was like a shadow... at first.

It was the second day of classes, I had watched surprised as she had entered my Microbiology class nervously looking around before heading to the open desk in front of mine and sitting down. I knew she was new this year so wondered why she was in a second year class but the Professors entrance stopped all conversation. His gaze had acknowledged her and she had sent him a small nod back... interesting.

After covering all the up coming syllabus, he had pulled out his top hat and the room echoed with groans, this was his preferred way of partnering its us for projects, loving to remind us that we couldn't always choose who we got to work with in our future careers and this was a way of learning that.  I saw the girl... Viridian nervously looking around as the Professor started calling out names...

Parker - Bennet,  Smith - Blumbfield, Brown - Torrance and on until he was down to the last few... Steele - Waters.  

I saw her tense as she looked around nervously, I knew she was Waters but she didn't know the students in the class, I wondered how she would react.  "Okay everyone, let's get partnering" the Professor had called having finished calling out names and I grin as I rise and take a step forward to join her at her desk.

"Grey Steele" I say holding out my hand and she blushes looking up at me before putting her hand in mine.

"Viridian Waters" she replies softly, pulling gently to free her hand from mine as soon as she could.  Close up she was even more intriguing.

"You're new, where did you do your first year?" I ask her sitting down and turning my attention back to her.  Watching as she fidgets under my gaze.

"I did my first year remotely" she explains and I raise my eyebrows surprised.

"How'd you do the labs?" I ask confused, this course was heavy with lab work and you couldn't do year two without passing the year 1 labs, not with this Professor.

She looked over to the Professor and smiled almost fondly, "Professor Sawyer came to me for my labs last year" she explained as if that was normal, but I knew it wasn't, especially for him.

The rest of the class was a pop quiz, and I grin to myself as I half watch her, her head bent as she works her way through the paper with confidence, she is the first one to turn it in, having a quick exchange with Professor Sawyer who actually smiles at her as she leaves the test on his desk, I can hear the shocked rumbles from around the room as they quietly talk before she comes back to her seat at our desk. settling down and pulling a planner out of her bag, making a few notes before tucking it away again.

"Five minutes" Professor calls and there is a flurry of movement as we finish off and move to hand in the papers.  I turn back from handing mine in, intending to ask her to join me for a coffee or lunch but the bell goes and I see he swinging her back over her shoulder and leaving, her tiny figure quickly disappearing amongst the other students.

"Damn" I whisper, gathering my stuff and heading out for the cafe I always meet my brothers at. I can't wait to tell Jet, she's my partners this year for class and hopefully more...