8. Jett

Ash and I glanced at each other over the counter before turning back to Jack "What do you mean?" I asked, having to raise my voice over the noise of the music.

"Fuck this is too loud, let's head outside" Ash grumbles, passing me a beer before grabbing his own, Jack following us out into the lantern lit yard, where it was much quieter, but still busy, typical Friday night party.

I take a drink and look round, my mind wandering to Viridian, what was she doing, would she be out partying?

"That Chick, she with both of you, is she game?" I heard tuning back into the discussion with Ash and Jack and I realise what he is talking about.

Ash beats me to it grabbing Jack's collar and getting in his face. "What did you just say" he growls out.

Jacks hands raise in the universal sign for surrender but Ash doesn't let go. "What did you say" he growls again giving Jack a shake.

"I was just joking around, come on guys. Everyone is talking about her and all of you, even Raven" he gasps out and Ash lets him go.

"Saying what, and what do you mean even Raven?"

Jack looks between us, "Shit, haven't you heard all the talk about you guys?" he looks shocked.

"No but now you can set us straight" Ash steps forward threateningly, but I put my hand up to check his move, we needed Jack to tell us everything he's heard and to keep us informed, pushing him won't help us.

Jack scans the garden "Over there" he indicates a fire pit that a group has just walked away from and we head that way, further from other people, further from the noise, where we can't get overheard, his worried gaze on Ash as we all sit and look at him.

"Your new girl has attracted a lot of attention, she's crazy pretty for starters so that attracts attention, then she's straight into second year classes and suddenly she's sitting next to you lot, 'the untouchable Steele's' in the classes you share with her, some of the girls are pissed, they wanted a shot with you... any of you, they're not picky" he holds up his hands as Ash growls.

"You're like the holy grail to them and you know it, so stop acting so surprised" he says and Ash glares standing up and looming over Jack.

"And" I prompt him.
"You never single out girls, and for you all to show interest in one girl has elevated her to more than noticeable, both to the girls, who now hates her guts for doing what they can't and getting your interest and to the guys who want to steal her before you get her locked down, there's at least two betting pools with her name on..." he trails of at the gaze I turn on him.

"Who?" I ask calmly and his face blanches and he scrambles backwards, on his feet now, facing us.

"Come on man, it's just college games" I can hear his fear, he doesn't want to, but he will tell me.

"Who?" I repeat, leaning forward.  Sending a quick glance at Ash, I can see the tenser I get, the more alert he gets.

"Fuck... Jamison" his hands rake through his hair.

"St John?" I query and he nods "and?"

"Sigma Beta" he whispers out nervously, knowing our history with that group.

"What the fuck!" Ash growls out "Who in Sigma Beta?" He snaps.
Jack blanches and looks away muttering "All of them"
"Fuck, fuck, fuck" Ash hisses "What are they planning?"

Jack holds his hands up and glares back at us. "I don't know but, Don't have a go at me, you're the ones that have painted a target on her back... all four Steele brothers focused on one girl.  You should have thought about this"

"Four?" Ash queries, his head tilting as he thinks "You mentioned Raven before, but he doesn't share any classes with her"

"Raven has been sitting with her in the library, at her desk and studying with her... every evening this week, not in his usual spot" he tells us and I work to keep my face expressionless.  "Didn't you know?" Jack asks looking between us curiously.

I stand and exchange a look with Ash and see him give a slight shake of his head, he didn't know either. "I need you to let me know if you hear anything" I tell Jack, taking a step towards him.  "And Jack I do mean anything" I wait till he nods at me.

"We're leaving" Ash growls suddenly and I look behind us to see three guys from Sigma Beta step out of the house. "Unless you want to send a message" he muses but I shake my head.

"Not yet, let's see what's going on first" I look back at Jack and he nods at my unspoken demand.

"I'll let you know if I hear anything" he promises "But... " he looks between Ash and I. "You need to let her know what's going on or get her some protection, this" he points at Sigma Beta, "This is all your fault"

"Fuck" I follow Ash out the side gate, pulling my phone out of my pocket I message Grey and Raven to find out where they are and to meet us back at our place.

Grey's car was on the driveway when we approached the house and his message came back just at we opened the door, now where was Raven?  I knew he wasn't back, with my bike and car in the garage as well as Ash's truck he would have had to park on the drive.

"What's going on?" Grey asked coming through for the kitchen to join us, as Ash said, "Where's Raven?"

"Rays' not back yet, what's going on?" he questions looking between us.

"Fuck" Ash growls pulling out his phone and dialling our missing brother. "Where are you" he snaps as Raven answers.  "Get home, we have a problem... Raven... the problem affects Viridian" he says and hangs up as we hear Ravens voice raised in query.

Grey glares at us, his arm crossed over his chest, "For the last time, What the fuck is going on, why call Raven, he doesn't know her" he looks between us confused reading our expressions "Raven knows her... how?"

"They have been studying together in the library, every evening this week!" Ash tells him, throwing himself into a chair
"That fucker" he growls but Ash cuts him off.
"That's not the issue, well not all of it..."

"Wait until Raven gets here, we only need to go over this once and all together" I say, my mind trying to work out the best solution, how can we get others off her back.

Five minutes later headlights flash across the front of the house as Raven pulls his truck up next to Grey's car, and comes storming to the house.

"Tell me" he demands, filling the doorway. His Scary Bastard persona fully in place... wonderful.