5. Ash

I look between Grey and Jett, wondering what the hell had set them off, judging by the heated looks they were throwing at each other something had.

"Whats going on?" I bark out, not wanting to deal with their shit, as I dropped my lunch tray down next to them

"I met Viridian this morning, she my lab partner in Microbiology" Grey says smugly at Jet's pinched look.

"I thought she wasn't interested, so what does it matter?" I ask Jet before switching my gaze back to Grey. "I thought she was a first year?"

"Apparently she did year one remotely and even said old Sawyer went to her to do the labs!" he explained and we all looked at him surprised. Professor Sawyer was notoriously difficult and it was widely known he hated all his students without fail.

"She's also in my physic's class, I didn't even think to ask where she did the first year, but she my  desk partner too" Jet mutters, still glaring at Grey.

"What is it with this girl? She made Ms Jeffries laugh, Prof Sawyer act out of character and you two are fighting over her" I ask bemused.

"Hey we are not fighting, there's no competition, I saw her first" Jet replies over Grey's objection.

"I bet she'll like me better" Grey snipes at him and I shake my head, looking around for Raven.

"Raven's at the library, some extra credit thing he's doing" Grey said catching my look and I grin, that sounds just like our surly brother.

The rest of lunch we are kept occupied by a constantly changing stream of people stopping to catch up, say hello and generally push themselves on us. I was almost glad Raven was at the library, he would have been pissed with all the rubbish being said.

As I headed for Psychology, the thought of Viridian comes back into my mind, I was a little worried she would cause a fight between Grey and Jet, it was the first time they had ever both been interested in the same thing, even growing up, their toys had never been shared. I paused at the doorway, my gaze scanning the room before doubling back in shock at the sight of the girl who was filling my brothers minds, she was in my class too!

I can see a few students looking her way and let my curiosity win, taking swift steps to the double desk she occupies and joining her.

Jet was right her eyes are stunning and I had to swallow as she gazed up at me shocked, as I dropped my bag on the desk and pulled out the chair. "I'm Ash, this is my seat" I said, watching her, the expressions chasing over her face before she shut it down and started to gather up her things.

"I'm sorry, I didn't know this desk was taken, I will move" she started but froze when I put my hand on hers.

"I don't want you to move, stay put... please" I smile at her.

She sent me a curiously suspicious look and I lifted my hand off hers, "My name is Ash" I smile and hold my hand out to her, waiting for her to decide what to do. Smiling when she huffs and puts her hand in mine.

"Viridian" she mutters out, her gaze quickly searching the rapidly filling class but I know she won't want to join the desks that still have free seats, those are the students who don't really care, are too loud or need the space,  so I relax a little, i'm her best option.

I watch her discretely as the class starts and the Professor goes over this years study programme, she takes neat notes, her only tension coming when he tells the class the seats we are in are ours for the year and we will be partnering with whoever we are sitting next to, I grin when I hear her almost silent groan.

"Isn't that great Partner" I whisper to her and she groans again hiding her face behind a curtain of glossy hair, that my hand itches to play with and by the end of the class, I know I too seem to have fallen under her spell, Grey and Jet had better watch out, I was in the game now as well and I really, really wanted to win.