6. Raven

I had to admit could see the attraction, head bent in concentration, her auburn curls held high above her head in a loosely twisted bun, her finger again coming up to push her glasses back up her nose. that's the third time and I doubt it would be the last.

She stops and freezes, her head coming up and her gaze searching the room, I take a step back, so I am out of sight behind the shelves, I can just see her over the books that screen me from view. She shakes her head before shutting the book she was reading and stretching,  her hands reaching above her head as she rolls her neck round and I can see from her grimace she is feeling stiff, I look again at the desk seeing how many books she has in front of her, how long had she been there?

It was the end of the first day of study for most students, and most would now be unwinding in the campus bars and cafe's or planning a party, not sat studying in the library.

I had listened to Jet talk about her, seen the way he had looked for her on campus over the weekend and had wondered what had gotten into him.  Jet was usually a hello and goodbye guy, but this girl had captured his attention, I had thought it was probably as she had turned him down but I wondered now if it was more, there was something about her that drew the eye.

Her gaze again searches as if she can feel the weight of my eyes on her but I am tucked away, maybe, just maybe if she comes back tomorrow I will join her.

I don't say anything to my brothers about her that evening, they didn't need to know I had seen her, after all that's all I had done.

I read the text from my brothers the next day having missed them at lunch, and grin to myself, they all have a different class with her and are all sharing desks with her.  Pushy idiots, they will push her away, from the little I have seen of her she is not someone who can be chased, you need to creep under her barriers slowly, gently, subtly.

I watch as she enters the library, heading for the same desk as before and I wait until she has settled before I move from my usual spot to join her. She had looked a little panicked when I had pulled out the chair and I knew she was going to run. My gaze held hers before I start pulling out thick books.

"Stay" I say when she started to nervously gather her books together.

Her head tilts and she watches me "Why?"

"You are studying and I want to study" I tell her, scowling at the group of students who are disturbing everyone the other side of the library.

"Please" I add and she silently nods, her gaze dropping back to her books and after a while she starts to study again, relaxing in my presence.  

We work for two hours like that before she stretches stiffly again, her gaze scanning the few remaining students. "You're leaving?" I ask softly and she bites her lip before replying. 

"Yes" she replies packing everything in her bag.

"My name is Raven" I say holding out me hand to her "Thank you for studying with me" I add with a smile and can see the mix of confusion and acceptance on her face as she finally puts her hand in mine.

"Viridian" she whispers and I nod.

"I know" I tell her quietly with a smile and watch as she grabs her bag and hurries away.

I don't admit to my brothers I have seen her and or that I agree is she is beautiful and intriguing as i don't want to add to the competition that seems to be growing between them, but I fully intend to get to know her, but my way.

The next two evenings are a repeat and I share a desk with her as we both study, exchanging a few words but enjoying the silence between us, I can feel she is comfortable around me.   I see a couple of  students look at her and when one is finally brave enough to approach her, I glare at him and he backs off... good.  The library is my space and no-ones going to poach this girl from me here.

Friday evening and after a week of classes the library is almost empty, I glance at the clock as I arrange my books, she's usually here by now.

30 minutes later I glance again at the clock, I have achieved very little and now my mind is full of what-ifs, has something happened to her?

I give up the pretence of studying after an hour, checking my phone first, before packing up,  I should swing by her dorm to check on her, even if its only to put my mind at rest.

I walk through the cooling evening, glad she is in co-ed building, so no-one will query where I am going, I don't even consider what I am going to say, I just need to know she is okay.

The whole of her corridor is silent as I head for her door 312, my guess would be most people are out partying, especially her dorm advisor Jen but I doubt she would be, I didn't think it was her style.  Reaching the door I knock hard twice and wait.

I can hear shuffling and movement inside and grin as I hear a bang and a curse then the door is opened and suddenly I can't breathe.

"Raven?" she asks softly, as all I can do is stare at her.

I rub the back of my neck in embarrassment at my reaction to her and lifting a hand towards her, but not touching.  "You may want to cover up" I warn her carefully and her gaze drops and she realises what she is wearing and squeaks, slamming the door shut in my face.

I lean my head against the door and listen to her curse inside before knocking again "Go away" she calls.

"Open the door Viridian...Please" I reply and wait.