chapter three

"Freeeeeeeeeeedddddddoooooommmmmm!!!" I cheer doing a little spin.

"Woah, Woah careful there, crazy." Kankuro laughs, steading me by light holding my waist.

"Don't pout y/n, he is right. You did not just get out of the hospital after two weeks to get sent back in there almost immediately." Temari adds, giving me a stern but soft look.

"Fineee," I whine, "I'll be careful, but get your goddamn hands off of me, Kankuro!"

He chuckles a soft sorry while removing his hands. Damn, I got lucky with these two.

The three of us walk through the village and as we get closer to the Kazekages office I start to feel my nerves rising, I don't even get a shower or anything to properly freshen up. I am going to smell like a hospital, gross...

Like I am literally about to go meet the most respected elders of the village and some of the highest shinobi, so I can work alongside the boy, man, whatever the hell he is, that I do not like. God, why me.

Well, what can you do, at least I know even when I'm looking like this I still will be the hottest person in the building.

"It'll be ok, you will be fine y/n," Kankuro announces a little bit too loudly.

"Kankuro! You are so loud," I hiss "and yes I know, you should be worrying about your baby brother."

Both Temari and Kankuro laugh at me. We have arrived, oh god.

As soon as I bring my hand up to knock on that door I already know that I have gotten myself into a mess, that is definitely gonna turn my life upside down.

"Come in."

"Lord Kazekage." I muse, stepping into the room, I lower my body into bowing motion.

"Miss y/n, welcome," Gaara says, watching my body very closely.

Giving him a fake smile, I scan the rest of the room. And come to realise yea Nah I don't recognise anyone here, and I know for a fact they all have done their research on me. And I now have to convince them that I am enough to work alongside their all-mighty Kazekage and basically play babysitter and help with the decision making for this village.

All because I failed in a mission and got myself injured to the point of no return.

Don't get me wrong I respect Gaara and all the work he does for the village but because of what has happened between us I can't bring myself to like him, he pisses me off. I know he would say the same for me.

"So, Lord Kazekage, what do you think?" One of the elders' questions.

What. The. Fuck. I am pissed.

An hour passed and I think only once someone spoke to me. The only people in the room to look at me were the sand siblings, and that was because Temari and Kankuro were giving me looks of sympathy and Gaara was just watching me. It was weird.

"You all know what I think. I chose her for the job because I know she is the right one." Gaara explains, looking completely bored.

"Right, of course, my Lord. The other elders and I will speak about it and get back to you." The same elder concludes.

"Us shinobi, entrust miss y/n here to work with you."

"Great, everyone is excused except for y/n. Elders, I would like your response by the end of the day." Gaara commands. "That includes you guys as well, Temari and Kankuro."

"Don't kill him." Temari smiles at me.

Everyone drains out of the room, leaving just Gaara and I left.

"So, what now?" I ask turning around to face Gaara, I am beyond pissed, I just want to go to bed.

His head is in his palms with his elbows resting against the desk below him. He isn't going to respond. I know it. I move to go sit in the chair that's in the corner of the room.

After getting comfortable I hear Gaara release a sigh and I see him move his head up to look towards me. Our eyes lock, he looks tired.

"I did not think it would be this hard to convince people to let you work with me. I mean I knew it was going to be a little bit of a challenge but with you just standing there giving attitude off, you had to make it all harder." Gaara confesses, "But that doesn't matter, you will be working for me because I do not want to make Temari upset and I don't want someone dumb who I have to teach."

"Excuse me! I did not stand here and give off an attitude! You should be thanking me for not going off and losing it at everyone in the room, no one acknowledged me. No one asked me if I wanted to do this job in the first place. It's like I was invisible to everyone. And what do you mean you don't want to make Temari upset?" I retaliate, walking in front of his desk and slamming my hands on it, making him look up at me.

We stare at each other in silence, he is now furious. I can see it but I am not backing down. If looks could kill, I don't know which one of us would be dead first.

Gaara rises from his chair and before I know it he is in front of me. Fuck.

"Let's get this straight, I did not want you. You are only here because you got yourself hurt, and Temari wanted to help you. So I gave you a purpose. I am using you for your brain, not for you." Gaara spat.

Wack.

That's the only sound that runs through the room for a minute, but it seems much longer.

"Lord Kazekage!! Are you ok?!" One of the elder's stutters. "Contain her!"

I start panicking, shit what did I just do and since when were their others in the room.

"Do not touch her," Gaara growled, holding his hand at his cheek.

I just slapped the Kazekage across the face. Gaara isn't some boy anymore, as much as he might act like one though, he is the Lord of this village. And I just hit him across the face. I said that already, fuck.

I am going to leave. That's the smart thing to do. So that's what I do.

Walking out with no hesitation and without looking back, I am silently hoping that I do not have to walk back into that office for a while. Or hoping that I don't have to see Gaara ever again.

Finally, I am home.

I am not one to cry but these past few weeks have been too much. Shutting the door to my apartment, I collapse. I haven't even stepped three feet inside and I am already here crying against the door. How pathetic.

Thirty minutes

One hour

Two hours

Three hours

After three hours, and twenty minutes I finally pull myself up and go shower.

Looking at my body in the mirror I finally realise how much damage I took during that fight with the two Akatsuki members.

I knew I had many little scars that covered my body and a couple larger ones that were on my back and one along my thigh. But now, I have a massive one that starts on the back of my left shoulder then goes along my collarbone to stop just between my breasts. I think that one is a burn mark from that blondes explosive clay or whatever it was because of the reddish-purple colour it is.

Running my hand down the scarring between my chest, I stopped at the sword marking and I can almost feel the exact pain of when Toby stabbed right through me. Turning around I can see that the scar on my back is slightly smaller and a lighter purple than what it is like at the front of my stomach.

Memories of that mission flash through my head as I step into the shower. I'll just wash it all off with the beauty of steaming hot water, it is heaven.