chapter six

"y/n I need the file for the C rank princess escort mission." I can hear Gaara all but shouting from his office, "where is it?"

It's been a few weeks since I started my job and I am actually enjoying it. The work is really interesting. Gaara can be a bit difficult but we can stay professional when we are in the office and are around others. Normally it's ok though because I will have Tee home and she will just let me rant while she trains or cooks but it's going to be kinda hard to tell what's going to happen because both Temari and Kankuro are being sent on a mission that is going to have them be away for a while. Meaning it'll just be Gaara and i.

"Gaara, stop yelling. It is right here." I say, picking up the file which was right in front of him, "I have already sent for the team you requested, they should be here soon. So sit down and calm down."

It's Wednesday and Gaara has been stressed as fuck. The elders are getting on his back about god knows what and the missions have been rolling in and they do not seem to be slowing down, and there is this specific mission that is giving us both a headache. Oh, and how can I forget, the sand festival is coming up as well as the concluding ball.

Knock knock. That was really quick, I turned to Gaara and he is looking confused.

"Come in," Gaara says as he signals me to come and stand by him. He has started to do this recently, I think it's because I awkwardly stand in the middle of the room looking like a lost child.

"Lord Kazekage." It's the some of suna council.

"Yes?" such a short and sweet answer. Gaara is visibly tense.

"May we speak with you in private."

Gaara stands up from his chair, turning around to lean against the window.

"Speak." his fist tightens around the window sill.

"We do not wish to speak to you around her."

Soooo this is awkward, like what the hell am I meant to do. Normally Gaara kicks me out as soon as they walk in but I haven't been dismissed.

"Well then leave." Three words and the entire air around everyone changed.

"Miss y/n can you leave." One of the elders chime in. uh oh

Gaara whips around looking like he is about to kill everyone in this room. The elders crossed the line and they know it. I don't understand what they are trying to prove here. Gaara goes to step forward but I stop him. I grab his shoulder and step slightly in front of him. This causes his body to tense more.

"I am not quite sure if you heard so I'll repeat it, but Lord Kazekage told you to leave if you do not wish to speak to him around me. And I will not leave because you do not dismiss me, I do not work for you. I work for Gaara, so if Gaara says for me to leave I will leave." I take a breath and remove my hand from Gaara, stepping forward so that I was directly in front of Gaara. "You have been given your options, I am not going anywhere so speak now or please leave. There is lot's of work that has to be done and this interruption, if useless, has put us behind even more."

Ok, so I think I may have said too much. Let's hope Gaara doesn't kill me but like with all respect these elders are making life harder for Gaara and I am the one who has to deal with him when he is in a bad mood.

"Excuse me, young lady?! Lord Kazekage-" He is cut off.

"You heard her," Gaara says, stepping forward slightly pressing the front of his body against my back.

I hate to admit it, but that was kinda hot. And it is not helping that I can feel his chest pressing against me.

"Ok. Just know when the princess arrives you will have the best of the best hospitality and you will give an amazing impression and win her over."

And just like that, it was just Gaara and I left. That was stressful as fuck.

Silence. Neither of us moves for a minute.

I feel Gaara's hands rest on my hips and I can hear him sigh.

"I am sorry." He whispers.

My body reacted to his touch before I could even control it. I lean back into him and his hands snake around my waist as his head tucks into the crook of my neck.

I have no idea what is going on. My heart is racing, my face is on fire but I can't bring myself to care. His touch made me completely forget everything.

"It's ok." I respond quietly, "but what was that all about."

"As you know, the princess from the escort mission is coming here and the elders want me to let her stay in my house so that I can 'woo' her." He grumbles in my ear. "Because they feel that I need a wife or a girlfriend or something along the lines to show the village some stability."

"What? That's stupid." I say, turning around to come face to face with the redhead.

Knocking coming from the door scared the living shit out of me and I all but threw myself out of his arms and seemed to snap Gaara out of whatever trance he was in. WHY THIS IS EMBARRASSING

I shouldn't be getting comfortable around him. He will be cold-hearted all over again by tomorrow.

It's 11 pm and Gaara and I haven't left the office yet. Gaara sent out the team who will be escorting the princess and has almost finished dealing with all the stuff that'll come with her and I have finished all of the invitations and have sent them out for the sand ball. Oh and tomorrow is all planned out, so as long as there are no interruptions like today everything should be to plan and we should be able to catch up on all of the behind work.

"You guys got back late, everything ok?" Temari questions, "oh I'll get the leftovers ready."

"Long day. Want to murder someone." Is all I say, before plopping down in the dining room seat.

I ate alone because Gaara took his food upstairs. And took the night slowly, still thinking about the moment Gaara and I shared. God, I need to talk to Tee.

"Temariiiiiiiiii" I whine walk into her room and flopping onto her bed.

"Yes y/n?" she responds.

So I explained to her everything that happened today and she was surprised as fuck.

"Are you sure you got the right Gaara?" Temari states in shock.

"TEMARI. YES, I AM SURE."

"Sorry, sorry it's just hard to believe that. You guys have hated each other since you were babies."

"I still hate him."

"Are you sure of that?" Temari wiggles her eyebrows.

"YES," I shout, throwing a pillow straight at her face. Sadly she caught it.

"Ok maybe he likes you, you never know." Temari shrugs.

"No, he doesn't." I pout, getting up and walking out of her room. I can hear her laughing, I think this is going to be the death of me.