chapter twenty

a/n

None of this is canon or like meets up with the actual timeline. So like ignore the wrong details and all of that :))

~

"I need the thing for her hair." One of the hair and makeup people yells across the room.

There has been hustling and moving and all that stuff. My face has been poked and my hair has been pulled. It's not the most enjoyable experience for me personally and I think Tee is feeling the same, but we are definitely looking hot.

It's now around 8:30 and I have to meet with the elders with Gaara in 30 minutes. Then from there, we head to the open ceremony well to um... open the festival. I don't really know what is happening after that.

Tee is very excited though she won't admit it to see Shikamura. I don't know how she feels about relationships but she definitely has a little crush.

"Are you ready for today?" Temari shifts her body to face me.

"Yea I am. Though I don't really know what to expect, seeming I have always been someone who turns up late to the ceremony or is just away completely on a mission." I respond. Bittersweet memories fill my mind, I miss being a ninja.

But what can a girl do when life is unfair as fuck on her.

"Make sense, but I promise you today will be great." She brings her hands out and grabs mine.

"Thank you. I should be on my way though. I have to get through a very exciting meeting first."

Temari chuckles at my sarcasm and gives me a wave as I make my way out of the room.

Quickly I slip into the dress and shoes that they got for me. Fixing the dress and the little details of my hair and makeup, then I begin my journey to the Kazekages office.

Fuck heels are annoying to walk in. But I made it.

"Come in Miss y/n," Gaara says through the door after I knock.

"Goodmorning." I give a light smile to the many people who are in the room and make my way behind Gaara's chair.

Eyes scanning the room they stop when I reach the familiar face of a certain pineapple hair boy.

What the hell is he doing here?

Shikamaru gives me a nod of acknowledgement then goes back to talking about security measures.

Oh, so that's who the leaf sent as help. Ok, that actually makes sense.

Make mental notes as the meeting continues, as they talk about security, festival activities, the ball, and different important people that'll be in attendance throughout the week.

"How many ninjas in total will be on guard, and how many are away?" One of the elders asks, with some edge in his voice.

Gaara looks up to me, "The sand has a total of 70 ninjas on guard for today's ceremony. Those numbers will increase tomorrow by 10 as two groups are finishing the mission in the hidden clouds. Overall there are about 15 more still out on a mission." I answer.

"Ok. That should work. Thank you miss y/n."

When did they start respecting me?

"Alright is that everything?" Gaara asks.

The room all nods in agreement, ok perfect time for the open ceremony. The room clears, leaving Gaara and me.

"Everything went smoothly," Gaara states leaning back into his chair.

"Meaning the week will go smoothly." I place my hands on the back of his chair.

He brings his face up to look at me, he gives me a small smile before looking back down and stretches his arms out, standing up.

Standing in front of me he takes a full-body look at me then places his hands on my waist.

"You look fucking stunning princess."

"You don't look too bad yourself, Lord Kazekage."

And I am right. He is just wearing his Kazekage outfit but he looks fucking hot. Is that bad of me to think? Eh oh well.

"Alright," he brings his hand to his face and smooths out the bridge of his nose, "let's go before I make a mess of your pretty face."

My mouth drops open. I just stand there as he walks out. HOW THE FUCK DID HE SAY THAT SO CASUALLY?!!

Closing my jaw I quickly hurry after him.

Fuckkkkk-

That's a lot of people. What the shit.

Standing on a platform with Kankuro, Temari and Gaara as well as the elders and a few ninjas. We are standing in front of thousands of people, most likely the entire sand village and more people from different villages.

And let's just say I feel awkward as shit. Almost like I am the odd one out.

It's fine. It's completely fine. I just need to stand here, look pretty and smile.

Looking slightly up at Gaara, I can see that there is an expression of pride on his face. You wouldn't be able to tell if you didn't know him, but with the bright smile on Temari's face, I can tell she definitely noticed. I mean this is his village.

"I want to formally welcome everyone to the sand village." The Kazekages voice booms throughout the space everyone is in.

The elders and Temari continue to address certain things and I guess just like that the sands festival finally begins.

"y/n, you are saying the final words to close off this ceremony," Kankuro whispers into my ear.

"What?" I whisper shout back surprised.

"Yea? I thought you knew! Fuck did those two forget to tell you." Kankuro gives me wide eyes.

"No one told me!!"

"Oh. Well, I'm sure you will be fine." He gives me a light pat on the back.

"And with that, I would like to invite y/n l/n to close off the ceremony." Gaara places his hand out towards me.

Fuck. I was not prepared for this. It's fine. I'll just come up with some bullshit on the spot.

Taking Gaara's hand I stand in front of the microphone.

"Thank you Lord Kazekage." I smile at him before turning my attention back to the thousands of people standing in front of me, "And I would like to thank all of you. Thank you to the people of the sand, my people, for being here to celebrate this week with us. Thank you to the people of other villages for being here. I hope that every single one of you enjoys everything that this village brings."

"And with those beautiful words. The festival of the sand begins." Gaara finishes off, as people begin to cheer.

"You did amazing," Gaara whispers into my ear.

"It would have been better if you told me I was doing that beforehand." I scold him.

"Sorry," he says almost too quietly for me to hear.