chapter thirty seven

Nearing the closest empty room, the three sand siblings trail behind me. "What is going on y/n?" Kankuro whispers.

"Did you get the old hag to talk?" Temari's hushed voice comes along next.

Both Gaara and I stay completely silent as we venture past the numerous Leaf people, assuming that all of them hold some higher ranking to be in the Hokages building. I haven't told them yet, I know once I do things will shift. I have to work out the best way to approach this difficult situation. The only thing that is easing the arrangement of negative emotions threatening to come up is that Gaara seems to have trust in me and my actions. Once I had walked back into that room with the Hokage, it had been like his demeanour had completely shifted. He had collected himself and looked like he had control over the room.

I took a sharp left following the Hokage's instructions to where the nearest but most secure room was to hash out this conversation with three of the most opinionated people in the lands. I take a seat at the head of a large table, it looks to be another conference room. Gaara locked the door behind Temari and they all followed suit. Taking a seat next to me. "The conversation went well."

Gaara's eyes met mine and his head tilted the slightest bit, in what I guess was confusion. "What type of 'well'?"

"Went 'well' as in I have found out what we need to find. But it is the type of 'well' that does not leave this room without great thought of what comes next." I stretch my arms over my head. My body is way too tense for its own good right now. "However it is also the 'well' that could affect relationships... personal relationships" I steal a quick but not-so-subtle glance at Temari then hold my eyes on Gaara.

"Sasuke is our age, and we obviously know he is... was... I'm not sure which one, friends with the Leaf Ninjas. Mainly Sakura and Naruto but the others closer to them also fall into the mix." I have each of their undivided attention, it is making me feel sick.

"Including..." Temari's words fall short, she looks conflicted. Confused.

"Shikamaru. Yes." Running my hands through my hair, I lean back into the chair staring up at the ceiling. "Now I need you all to let me speak, so I can explain everything. For now, I ask that you please disregard any personal feelings about the situation and the people involved. It will be a lot of information for the short amount of window space we have right now."

They nod. I know it will be fine for Kankuro, he has no real lasting emotions for anyone in The Leaf. However, I do know this will be difficult for the other two. Temari because of Shikamaru and Gaara because of Naruto. The first two are lovers even though they haven't really admitted it to each other or others, which makes it difficult through layers I will never be able to understand. And the latter because those two share some weird trauma bond and a deeper level of understanding than most people will ever know. They just get each other and their individual actions. It would probably be easy for them to hear it from the mouths of the Leaf Ninja we call friends however there is just no time. It definitely would make it easier for me.

However, unfortunately, with how the past few months have played out there is not a chance in hell that something will play out smoothly for us. So I ripped off the bandaid.

Explaining everything from start to finish. Exactly what the Hokage relayed to me. Unpacking the depth that was Sasuke Uchiha. Discussing the fights The Leaf ninja has gone through with him up to this point, all in just an attempt to get the boy to come back. Back home. But really honestly by the sounds of everything this boy has been failed by all. It almost makes me incredibly sad but at the same time, he is the one who turned to this life of violence. As well as the fact of right now he is considered a major threat to the safety of peace.

"Can't they just kill him?" Kankuro looks confused as he states what he believes is the most obvious solution.

"No, they can't just kill him. Did you not listen!" Temari throws her head into her hands. "Fuck me, why is this so complicated!"

Gaara doesn't say anything. More like he doesn't get the time to say anything as we are escorted out of the room back to the original. However, this time as I walk Gaara has his hand on my lower back. I catch his eyes. All I can see in them is confusion.

The very Leaf ninja that saved him in his time of need is now in danger, because of means that go way beyond our control. There is not much our village can do other than stand by the Hokage and meet this meeting with other villages head-on. We have to gain their trust so they know we can and will help them but we have to prove it, This meeting will be the best place to approach that. "Keep your mouths shut."

Gaara's low words of warning have Kankuro and Temari snap out of whatever trance they were in, standing up straight and bringing up their guard. I suck in a deep breath before stepping back into the room, but I am surprised when I see the majority of it has cleared out. All that remains is the younger ninja and an added sensei. Along with the Hokage.

"Now we begin the real discussions?" Lady Tsunade motions for everyone in the room to take a seat.

Gaara mumbles a curse under his breath before walking to take a seat in front of the Hokage. I speak up, "Let's just put everything on the table. For the sake of both our villages."

And that is what happens.

The room is loud. I am lost on what is really going on. People are yelling, mainly Naruto and Sakura. The Hokage and Kakashi are trying to calm them down... with more raised voices. My head is pounding, I cannot handle this shit. I stand up. Not saying a word to anyone I begin to walk out. "y/n?" Shikamura's voice reaches my ears.

I turn and meet his face. He looks grim, I shake my head at him not really knowing what to say. This isn't working. I remove myself from the room. We will just try again tomorrow.

Gaara didn't go to the hotel room last night, you slept alone. Tomorrow isn't any better.

Neither is the next day.

"FUCK!" I slam my hands loudly into the table below me pushing myself up to stand. "I am sorry but this clearly is fucking useless. If all you guys are going to do is whine and argue there is no goddamn point?!" I throw my hands up.

The room goes dead silent. There are more ninjas from both areas, preparing us for the meeting we leave for tomorrow and we are nowhere near making progress. "If you aren't going to work with us," I hold eye contact with a blonde and pink-haired pair, and their older sensei, "then we aren't going to be able to help you when we walk into that meeting and they declare war on your once friend! They won't stop until he is dead, digging both holes deeper. And if you stand by him and against the majority you are both good and dead as well! And for fuck sake can you not see how much danger you idiots are in?!? Take a step back and look. Look at this fucking situation you are in. You either sit down and shut up and LISTEN, or you two and your friend are dead and fucking hopeless."

Gaara stands up and pushes his body against the side of mine. My breath catches in my throat as he snakes his hand, slowly, around to my lower back. What is he doing? His hand presses against the fabric of my shirt as he speaks, "Y/n is right. We offer you our services and you reject. Meaning we have no business here wasting time."

Our ninja have already made it to the door. The next thing I know we are walking out of the room. The next thing I know we are heading towards our shared room. Next thing I know I am pushed up against the closed locked door of said room.

"Fuck y/n..." Gaara's hands are roaming skin he has touched before. "I can't do this anymore."