Chapter 16: A Five-Minute Talk

I went to the coffee shop again for a different purpose I came there to ask for Nich's phone number.

"Ummm... can I get Nich's phone number?"

The barista answered "well miss Francine Abigail peters, our boss said don't give his phone number to others but because I think he knows you and I know you too, here's his business card I can't give you his phone number.

"Thank you"

I don't know why but darn! I called Nich but didn't say a thing.

I called him again "hello Nich"

He seemed to be happy with the tone of his voice. "Abby is that you? Why did you call me?"

I didn't answer.

****

I was sure that Nich will be at the café so I went there. I just want to see him but I'm not yet in the mood to talk to him.

Yes! I was right he was there. I just came to see him. I turned back and started walking but is he flashed a son or something because he was so fast. "Abby, can we talk?" I wanted to but I feel like I don't want to. "No!"

"Why?"

"Just no"

He begged for me "please! Please Abby! Just for five minutes." He looked as good as the first time I saw him.

Yet, I was so easy to fall. "What are we going to talk about? Your life? My life? The politicians? The world?"

"Us Abby! We are going to talk about us"

My tears fell as he looks into my eye. "Nich, I don't want to talk about our past. Please just...." I was speechless and he said, "Abby, please just listen to me."

****

We sat on a bench. He was sitting next to me

There was complete silence and awkwardness for a minute until he started talking. He asked me a question. "How was your life after our breakup?"

"Well, I was broken-hearted while you seem to be having fun with your life!" He looked at me with his blue eyes.

"Abby I'm sorry! Please forgive me! I tried to make myself feel that I'm ok but I didn't want to be the type of boyfriend that makes his girlfriend worry"

I answered, "well Nich, did you think that the solution is to give up on us?"

He answered "yes. That's why I always wanted to say sorry to you"

"Apology accepted"

I started walking to go back to the car but he stopped me again "wait, don't go yet" he said

"Abby, I just want you to know that I loved you and it wasn't also easy for me. Abby, can we go somewhere? I missed you."

There were tears on his face

"Why will we go out? I think I don't have time anymore."

He let go of my hand and whispered in a sad voice "ok"

It was hard for me to not say yes but I think I also wanted to.

I looked back at him and saw him still sitting while I ran to the car before someone else sees me.