Chapter 6:

"Seriously?" Matt asked bewildered.

Matt looked like he had been slapped. Matt looked towards Hayes. He responded by giving Matt an 'I told you so' look.

"Yes." I said simply.

"The power of pain meds!" Hayes cheered.

"You're making the wrong choice, but it's you who's going to get dropped. Not me." Matt looked at me like I was insane.

"Thanks for your concern but I'm a big girl and can handle my own decisions."

Matt turned and walked up the stairs, clearly annoyed with my response.

"You ready?" Hayes asked.

"Almost. I need my phone."

"Dang it! I thought you were super cool. Turns out you're just another one of those girls who can't survive one moment without their phone." Hayes grinned.

"First off I haven't been on my phone since I arrived. Second I kinda need to let my mom know what is going on."

"Excuses, excuses, excuses. Where is it?"

"Bottom drawer of the dresser with my jeans."

Hayes went into the girls side. I heard choruses of "hi Hayes!" What is their problem? He's just a guy. A decent looking guy but still a guy. This is going to be a long two weeks.

"Batman case, really?" Hayes asked stepping back onto the patio.

"Yep." I took my phone from his outstretched hand.

"So, I think the best way to get you to the nurse would be to carry you bridal style." Hayes said rubbing the back of his neck clearly nervous.

"Whatever works best for you."

I pulled both my knees to a bent position, careful not to hit my foot on the wall. Hayes carefully slipped one hand below my knees and placed the other on my lower back. He lifted me up.

"Gosh, you're heavy." He groaned.

"Shut up."

"Just kidding."

I smiled as he walked to the nurses cabin.