Chapter Twenty-Nine: Field Trip

"Alright, let's see...Mikasa?"

"Here."

Levi's mind seemed to slip in and out of reality, his eyes occasionally glancing towards the classroom door before returning to the surface of his desk. With his left cheek pressed up against his left hand, Levi let out a quiet sigh. 

There had not yet been any sign of you.

It was now Monday—the day of the school trip. And while the trip was meant to broaden the class' scope of modern history (there really was no 'scope' due to Mr. Smith's lack of actual course material), Levi had other plans for today. 

He'd been ruminating the possibilities since Saturday; what if things didn't go according to plan? What if he couldn't bring himself to do the long-awaited? What if you decided not to attend the school trip in the first place?

The latter scenario seemed excruciatingly probable, but he couldn't blame you if you indeed happened to opt for it. After everything you'd been through thus far, Levi wouldn't blame you if you decided to stay home longer than just this lousy Monday.

However, he still held onto the measly hope that you'd walk in through the open doorway, (eye/colour) eyes scanning the room for his person...

He could only hope...

"And...Hange?"

"Here!"

"Alrighty, then," Erwin concluded with a grin, scribbling down a few things on his clipboard attendance before slipping it into the travel rucksack on his messy desk. "Oh, but it looks like we're missing (Y/n)...anyone know if she's simply running late or—"

"—She's late," Levi cut in with a glare, leaving little room for Mr. Smith's speculation. "She'll be here."

"Ah, I see," the tall blond said with strewn eyebrows, attempting to concentrate on Levi's words over the class' chatter of excitement. He nodded. "Well, we do have to leave now...maybe send (Y/n) a quick message, hmm? Would hate to have to leave her behind." Levi clenched his jaw, eyes cast downward as he let out a slight nod.

If only Mr. Smith knew that texting you wouldn't be possible. Not while your phone was still with the police.

"Yeah..." Erwin smiled shortly before letting it falter. And as though he had just remembered something, he gasped quietly, blue eyes frantically surveying the classroom as he navigated himself towards the back of the room. "Reiss," he called out worriedly, "did you feed the mice?"

"Is (Y/n) not coming today?" It took everything in Levi not to sneer at the voice of the person he once considered a friend. Instead, he opted for a quick dart of the eyes and a shrug. He needed to act natural; as though he hadn't witnessed Hange and Mike laughing together in the halls.

"Don't know." Hange let out a curious hum, crossing her arms over her chest and leaning back against her seat.

"It isn't like (Y/n) to be this late...why didn't the two of you arrive together?" she queried before deadpanning behind her glasses, "did you guys have another disagreement? On "not-talking-terms" again?"

"None of that," Levi protested. "Just...she was sick on Friday...not sure if she still feels like shit and decided not to come today."

"She's been sick? And you didn't tell me?" Hange bleated with semi-wide eyes. She slumped in her seat. "Ugh...I feel so bad now..."