Chapter Twenty-Four: Tryouts

"Log date—"

"—Not this shit again—"

"—eleven, twenty-eight, twenty-twenty. It's been approximately eight days since (Y/n) last had her phone," Hange orated in a horribly inaccurate attempt to speak in an Australian accent. She had the eraser of her pencil raised to her lips as though she were speaking into a microphone. Levi clenched his jaw, trying his best to ignore her babbling.

"Do your work, Four-eyes."

"It's been a treacherous journey, thus far," Hange whispered amusedly, tapping Levi's shoulder repeatedly and pulling her arm back just before he could to harshly swat it away. "Look at her...the face of a martyr. Able to survive without a sacred cellular device for more than a week." She pointed with her pencil to where you sat across the classroom, working diligently with your seemingly less diligent partner—Oluo Bozado.

Hange sighed, tearing her gaze away from her best friend before looking down at her English group assignment. She glanced past the teacher and up at the analogue clock to read the time before frowning.

"Yeah, forty-five more minutes of your shit," Levi muttered with a side-glance, as though he had been partially reading Hange's mind. Hange let out a goofy smile, picking up her pen to continue her writing.

"You love me."

"Tch, you have a death wish." Hange let out a loud snicker, pausing when she felt the eyes of her English teacher skim her person briefly. Hange let out a breath of relief when her teacher resumed marking and finally restored her attention to the assignment before her. She was, surprisingly enough, able to get into the groove of writing before stopping after roughly ten minutes of silence. She peaked over Levi's shoulder to see what he had written down.

"What'd you get for question four?"

"Figure it out." Hange let out a dramatic sigh, slouching in her seat. How on earth was it possible to be this bored? English was a boring class—Hange knew that—but for the past few days, it had become increasingly unbearable and Hange attributed that to you.

Yes, she blamed you.

Ever since you had gotten your phone confiscated for monitoring and evidence after that interrogation at the police station last week, you hadn't been able to call her, text her, or send back her messaging games to pass the time in severely uninteresting classes like English. You'd been left to borrow Levi's phone for emergencies or use no phone at all.

And sure. One could argue that during the six hours Hange spent at school, she could talk to you as many times as she wanted. But that wouldn't give her a reason to be fake-angry with you.

And she felt like being fake-angry.

"Shorty?"

"No."

"Don't you have soccer tryouts today?"

"Don't you have shit to work on?"

"Aw, come on, Levi. Don't be like that," Hange urged with a smirk, nudging Levi's side with her elbow. "Is (Y/n) staying to watch?"

"No." Hange quirked an eyebrow in surprise.

"She told you that?"

"No." Hange let out a roll of her eyes, doodling small images on the sides of her page. He wasn't going to budge, would he? With the one-worded answers? That was fine.

She'd play along.

"You can't tell her what to do, Levi." Hange paused her drawing to send him a knowing look, wriggling her eyebrows mischievously. "What? Are you afraid you'll embarrass yourself in front of her?" She let out a triumphant smile when Levi finally opted to turn around and humour her.