Chapter Sixteen: Wealth

"So it's a date?" Hange inquired, shutting the front door behind you and leading you up the stairs to her room. You nearly fell mid-stair, catching your balance before you could hit the hard-wood.

"No, it's not. I'm going as his date—"

"Wait, wait, hold on a second," Hange began when the two of you reached her bedroom door. She opened it before saying, "Let me get this straight—"

"Oh, gosh," you said with a sigh, slouching onto the seat by Hange's vanity dresser. "Here we go again..."

"Levi asked you to go to one of Satan's rich-people banquets—"

"His uncle."

"Yeah, same difference," Hange said, with a dismissive wave of her hand while she moved to sit on her bed. "And he told you to dress fancy?"

"Yeah..."

"And he's picking you up at..."

"Seven." Hange snorted with a shake of her head.

"Sounds like a  date to me..." she muttered. Your eyes widened and you turned around from your reflection in Hange's vanity mirror to face her.

"I told you this...this isn't a date! Where in Maria's name is this coming from?!" you spluttered as your eyebrows creased in disbelief. You felt your cheeks heat up with such intensity, you refused to look back into the mirror until you were calm again.

But why weren't you calm in the first place?

"Well, gosh damn, lady. I didn't mean to offend you," Hange drawled, pushing her hands out defensively as she stood up from her spot on the bed. "I'm just...naming things I see fit of their titles." You rolled your eyes, looking at Hange through the mirror while she stood behind you, rhythmically drumming her fingers on your shoulder to an unknown beat. You glared at her suspiciously.

She always drums her fingers when she's up to no good.

"Say, (Y/n), why so defensive, hmm?" You blinked your way out of your thoughts, looking up to meet Hange's gaze momentarily before looking down at your hands with pursed lips.

"Defensive?" you inquired exasperatedly. "What do you mean defensive? I'm not being defensive," you reassured with a sigh.

"Said every defensive person...ever." You shook your head.

"You're just saying weird stuff..." Hange chuckled, hanging her arms loosely around your neck and resting her chin on the top of your head.

"Weird? You wanna know what's weird?"

"Your blog about human-eating spiders?"

"W-What? No! That was a phase...I'm over it now," Hange responded quickly, reaching forward to grab her phone off the vanity. You snorted.

Who's the defensive one now?

"That text you sent me 20 minutes ago," she finished, unlocking her device before showing you your texts from earlier.

👑𝔔𝔲𝔢𝔢𝔢𝔢𝔢𝔢𝔢𝔢𝔢𝔫🙏🏻:  i need fashion advice and I don't know where to goooo!! ☹️🤧

👑𝔔𝔲𝔢𝔢𝔢𝔢𝔢𝔢𝔢𝔢𝔢𝔫🙏🏻: i'll come over

"I'm sorry, but of all the people you know, why the heck would you ask me?" Hange inquired incredulously. "You know, I thought you were joking until you actually showed up at my front door," she explained, locking her phone and tossing it behind her so it would land on her bed. You cringed when you heard it land with a huge 'thud' on the ground.