Chapter Twenty-Three: Investigation

"Tch, you're going to break my hand if you keep holding it so tightly..." You immediately loosened your grip on Levi's hand, allowing him to retract it from yours.

"Sorry..." you muttered, now gripping the diagonal strap of your seatbelt with sweaty hands. Normally, the smooth, rumbling sound of Kutchel's Titan Rover engine soothed you to the point of sleep. But at this very moment, it seemed to be bringing you over the edge of nausea.

"You'll be fine, Kiddo," Kutchel encouraged from her spot up front in the driver's seat. She paused to make a left turn before continuing. "All you have to do is tell them everything you know."

"Everything?" you repeated unsurely. "Do they care about the small details?" Kutchel tilted her head from side-to-side in contemplation, her hands firmly on three o'clock and nine o'clock.

"Small details? Perhaps, if they're relevant."

"Will they have to confiscate my phone?" you questioned once more, glancing at Levi's mother through the rearview mirror. "For evidence?" She briefly caught your gaze before nodding her head.

"Most likely."

"Could they arrest me?"

"Not unless you're planning to confess to a murder," Kutchel replied with a chuckle before pulling into the driveway of the Trost Police Department. The red-brick building stood about four stories in height, a neat row of parked police cruisers brimming the outer edge of the parking lot. You gulped in anticipation, wanting to leap out of the car as soon as it had come to a stop and run all the way back home. But what sense did that make?

You probably wouldn't make it halfway back.

"Here we are, children," Kutchel announced with a sigh, abruptly cutting off the engine of her SUV. "Any questions before we head inside?" Boy, did you have a lot to ask. But you didn't want to impose on the time Kutchel had already given up so much of for you.

So, you instead opted to ask one question:

"Do you know who I'll be speaking with today?" you asked nervously, fidgeting with the sleeve of your sweater. "Just...want to know the type of person I'm dealing with." Kutchel turned around to face you in her seat, letting out a warm smile that seemed to instantly lessen your fears.

"I managed to convince the Chief of Police to take on our case when we went in this morning. We spoke over the phone and he said he'd be more than willing to help us out."

"And...you trust him?" you asked hopefully, desperate for any ounce of reassurance you could possibly get. Kutchel let out a short sigh.

"As far as 'trust' in this system goes. We'll just have to hope that he does the best that he can."

"Tch, he'd better," Levi mumbled, arms crossed over his chest. "Or he'll have another thing coming—"

"Rivialle," Kutchel warned. Levi shrugged with a brief roll of his eyes as he opened the car door to his right before replying plainly.

"It was a joke."

"It wasn't funny."

"How unfortunate." You rolled your eyes with a shake of your head when Levi slammed the car door shut. You turned back to face Kutchel, a look of gratitude on your face.

"Thank you, Kutchel...I really appreciate all of your help...both you and Levi." The raven-haired woman waved a dismissive hand in the air, a smile on her face.

"Oh, don't mention it, (Y/n). You need parental support and I'll always be willing to step in when duty calls." You allowed the left corner of your mouth to upturn slightly, blinking away some welling tears. What had you done to deserve people like her and Levi in your life? You nodded your head.