Chapter Eight: Cannonball

It wasn't until today that you realised: you'd make a great career as a ninja.

Every single dodgeball (or "cannonball", according to Coach Pixie-Stick) thrown your way made you feel like your life was flashing before your eyes.

'Duck, jump, turn, slide,' you chanted repeatedly in your mind as you managed to dodge the vicious hits as best as you could. You smirked as you grabbed hold of a stray dodgeball, eyeing your ebony-haired opponent with a mischievous glint in your eyes.

'It's my turn, now,' you thought, slyly. It was almost as if Levi read your thoughts as he returned your glare with a daring look of his own.

Balancing yourself, you held out an arm in front of you, the ball in your other hand, and launched the sphere across the gym, aiming below Levi's waist.

If the ball hit him, he'd be out of the game.

"Damn," Jean muttered to nobody in particular from where he stood in the sidelines. The rest of the class watched the "demonstration" in awe. "She's good..."

And just at that moment, the dodgeball you threw tumbled in the air and landed with a soft 'bump' into Levi's outstretched arms.

He won. He won the fricking game.

"Damnit!" you cursed, landing on your knees with a 'thump' against the polished, wooden gym floor.

"...but not as good as Levi," Jean muttered again, adding onto his previous statement. Levi smirked slightly, taunting you harshly with his gaze. He didn't need to use his words when his face already screamed: "you lost, bitch".

"Fuck off, Levi," you cussed with a frown as you stomped over to Levi's side of the gym while the others chatted amongst themselves on the sidelines. Coach Pixis simply sat on the side-bench, an unreadable expression on his face, as he scribbled vigorously across a clipboard in his hands.

Levi smirked as his greyish-blue eyes gazed into your own, making you want to shiver under the weight of his attention. He shrugged before gripping the dodgeball with both his hands and tossing it over to the side. He clicked his tongue, "you just suck at dodgeball, brat," Levi reasoned as he fought the urge to ruffle your hair.

Your frown darkened as you brought both your hands out to push at Levi's chest. But you were disappointed when his body barely moved an inch back. Levi let out the shortest and smallest of chuckles, causing your frown to soften.

"Oi, careful," Levi taunted, "don't hurt yourself."

"You're mean," you commented with a pout, leaning your forehead against his chest, closing your eyes.

'Is he a wall, or something? Why the heck isn't he falling back?' you thought incredulously.

"U-um, h-hey Levi, hey (Y/n)!" a friendly voice called out from behind you. Lifting up your head, you took a step away from Levi before turning around to face the source of the voice.

"Oh, hi, Petra," you greeted with a small smile. You nudged Levi with your elbow when you realized he hadn't replied.

"Oh...hello..." he said plainly, glancing briefly at Petra before glaring at you. You ignored his harsh stare.

Petra blushed with a smile. "I just wanted to say, the both of you were awesome out there. You're both so good at sports... I'm so jealous!"

You smiled, your cheeks heating up slightly at the praise. "A-ah, thanks! But I'm sure you're great at dodgeball---" you paused to correct yourself, "---cannonball, as well." Petra giggled. Before she could reply, she was interrupted.