Chapter Twenty: Pie & Lies

"Why, you're home late... Kenny get you to go to one of his rowdy banquets again?" Levi nearly jumped at the sound of the familiar voice, dropping his house keys in the process. He looked up with wide eyes, both pleased and perplexed to see the woman that was his mother staring back at him.

She stood in the kitchen, her head popped out from the kitchen entrance with a smile that reached her tired blue eyes. Levi looked on dumbfoundedly, unsure of what to say. Unsure of what to think.

This was a surprise. A pleasant surprise.

"...Why didn't you tell me you were coming home today," Levi let out with a frown, feeling the back of his neck heat up in embarrassment when his mother gestured him over for a hug. He let out a deep sigh when he reached her, savouring her warm hug with closed eyes.

"Oh, I'm sorry, kiddo...just wanted to surprise you," she replied once she finally let go. "Tell you what? Why don't you go change out of that suit and we can catch up over dessert, hmm?" she suggested, tilting her head over at the oven behind her. "I'm making some pie."

Levi's eyes lit up at the mention of his mother's pie. It was only the best thing he'd ever tasted in his entire sixteen years of living. Along with it came so many memories...like the various times his mother would have a blueberry or apple pie ready for dessert after dinner. Or the multiple times he'd share a slice of pie with you at lunch.

"Give me five minutes," Levi replied swiftly before turning to bolt up the stairs. From his elevation point, he could hear his mother chuckle slightly before the heartwarming sound grew faint as he ascended further.

Upon entering his room, Levi pulled out his phone from his jacket pocket, his fingers trembling with excitement as he navigated his way from the home screen to the messaging app; clicking your contact shortly after.

Brat🙄

You: oi, you get home okay?

Levi ran a hand through his hair, monitoring his phone screen as he set it down on his bed. He already knew he wouldn't get an immediate response. Knowing you, you'd probably fallen right asleep the moment he dropped you off at your house.

That, or you simply hadn't charged your phone yet.

After changing into a comfortable pair of sweats and a long-sleeved t-shirt, Levi made his way back downstairs to the kitchen, his cellular device in hand.

"So, how was the banquet? More boring than usual?" Levi subtly smirked at his mother's question, grabbing a plate of already-dished apple pie from the counter and sitting on one of the counter stools. "I've told your uncle countless times not to invite you to those things."

Levi reached over the counter to grab a fork from the dishrack before using it to cut into his pie. "It was boring...but not as much as I thought it would be," Levi said thoughtfully, his attention slightly divided when his phone let out a distinct 'buzz'. Darting his eyes over, he read the pop-up message on his lock screen.

1 Unread Message

Brat🙄: yeah, everything's good🙃

Brat🙄: btw, thx for the mcdonald's

Brat🙄: and the sushi😎

"Really? Well, that's a surprise," Kutchel responded with a roll of her eyes. "From my experience, the only fun part of Kenny's banquets were his attendees' crazy-ass outfits. They're always nice to laugh at." Levi briefly nodded his head, his eyes glued to his screen as he moved to reply to your message.