Chapter Twenty-Two: Varsity

"Damn...I wish I went with you," Hange complained with a pout as the two of you walked side-by-side, headed in the direction of your school that Monday morning. "Sounds like it was fun..." You blinked in minor disbelief.

"What part of my summary about one of the most difficult nights of my life made you think that?" you questioned, eyeing Hange's genuinely disappointed expression. She glared at you pointedly through her glasses.

"Well, just imagine: while you were out, living your cinematic fairytale—"

"It wasn't a fairytale—"

"I was stuck at home working on some dumb English essay," Hange finished with a roll of her eyes before adding, "and don't lie, it was a fairytale!"

"How?" you questioned with your arms crossed over your chest as the two of you walked side-by-side. "Who's the evil stepmother?"

"Kenny, obviously," Hange replied with a shake of her head. She pushed her glasses up the bridge of her nose before saying, "and Levi is the Prince Charming."

"Oh, really? Who's next?"

"Well, there's you, the princess, of course."

"And my fairy godmother?" you asked with a hint of amusement. Hange scoffed with a slight frown.

"Me!" she exclaimed. "Ugh, don't be a bitch by pretending you didn't already know this..." You let out a snort, your eyes bright with intrigue.

"Right, sorry," you said, your hands out in defence. "Is that all?" Hange hummed in thought, a hand on her chin as she adjusted her bag strap with the other.

"I mean...based on what you told me happened on Saturday, I think Petra is...like..." Hnage kicked at a stray rock on the pavement. "An evil stepsister." You glanced over at Hange, slightly stunned to hear her answer.

"Evil stepsister? Why?" you questioned with a shake of your head. Hange shot you a look that read 'seriously' before sighing.

"Think about it, (Y/n). We're in our third year of high school, yet, Petra hasn't bothered to talk to you at all, up until recently."

"Maybe she's shy?"

"She's a social butterfly."

"An ambivert?"

"Are you really defending her?" Hange inquired with disbelief. You shrugged your shoulders, meeting her gaze with furrowed eyebrows.

"There's nothing to defend her from. Is she on trial?"

"(Y/n)..."

"Fine, fine..." you sighed with a shake of your head. "Talk."

"I just think you should be careful, (Y/n)," Hange muttered with pursed lips. "I didn't want to say it but, it is rather strange that Petra started talking to you around the same time your stalker started..." Hange squinted as she struggled to find the right words to say, "...being creepy."

You opened your mouth to speak before snapping it shut. Oh, was it really true? Did all of this seem as Hange had described it?

"I guess...I guess you could be right," you started unsurely, lowering your voice once the two of you stepped foot inside the school. "But I kind of suspected my stalker was a...guy."

"Yeah, me too," Hange replied struggling to keep up with you after accidentally bumping shoulders with a 12th grader in the hall. "But we'll never really know until we see their face, hm?"