Chapter Thirteen: Truth

Gym class had been quite the drag.

When your gym classmates had entered the gymnasium, Pixis was already there, his arms crossed behind his back, the corner of his eyes crinkled with seriousness, and his shiny, bald head glistening with sweat under the bright, fluorescent lights. He was unusually quiet. Nobody wanted to tick off the bomb that was your new gym coach. Nobody.

But unbeknownst to your class, they already had.

"Ever heard of the saying, 'the early bird catches the worm', hmm?" Coach Dot's gruff voice sneered at the students that stood quietly and fearfully in one straight row, much like he had made them do during last class. "Well, HAVE YOU?!"

The students nodded their heads quickly, muttering a small "yes, sir" in response. Dot watched every student closely, deciding which one would be his next victim. You silently prayed it wouldn't be you.

And then, he heard it. And soon after, saw it. His lips curled in disgust as he brought his attention to a certain brunette at the end of the line. She had one hand behind her back and the other covering her mouth. She seemed to be chewing on something.

You watched as Pixis trotted over to Sasha and you suppressed the urge to sigh. Oh, she'd get it from him, for sure. Just the look of irritation on Pixis' face was enough to make you tremble in your spot. Your immediate instinct was to glance over at Levi and exchange a mutual glance, one that would've most likely read: 'well, shit'.

But you looked away just before your eyes could meet his, nearly forgetting the events that had previously taken place with him in the school hallways.

"YOU!" Coach Pixis yelled once he reached Sasha. "What the hell do you think you're doing?!" Sasha tried to straighten her form the best she could as she swallowed loudly. You squeezed your eyes shut. You couldn't watch.

"Eating, sir!" she exclaimed in a tone equivalent to Pixis' own. His frown seemed to deepen.

"EATING WHAT?"

"A POTATO, SIR!"

The bald man walked closer, his hands behind his back. You peaked over at Connie who stood beside the brunette, sweat trickling down his temple. You felt bad for him. The poor boy looked like he was about to cry.

"A...potato?" Pixis questioned. And then, there was a heavy silence.

'CREAK'.

Everyone's attention was redirected to the gymnasium's main entrance. There stood an all too familiar face. The outspoken, aqua-eyed brunet froze at the entrance like a deer in headlights.

"Yeager..." Pixis growled, his attention redirected to the said boy who had just so happened to walk in through the main doors, 15 minutes late for class. You heard an exasperated sigh from the person next to you, Mikasa. For as long as you'd known her, she always seemed to be a bit over-concerned for Eren's welfare.

Given the circumstances, you could now understand why.

"Do you know what the late bird catches, cadet?" Pixis hissed once he strode over to Eren's frozen form, stopping when he was about an inch in length from the slightly trembling boy.

"S-Sorry, sir?" Eren choked out, perplexed by the coach's statement. The older man chuckled mockingly and the sound sent a shiver down your spine.

"If 'the early bird catches the worm', what do you think---" Pixis narrowed his eyes on Eren's face, "---the late bird gets, huh?" Eren's eyes widened as he shrugged his shoulders.