Chapter 18: Pretty Boy

Song: Ribs by Lorde

I watch as Belle floats on her back in the crystal blue water

I watch as Belle floats on her back in the crystal blue water. Trees line the lake, Soon they will be different shades of oranges and reds. The leaves will fall and float on top of the water.

Fall has always been my favorite season, and I learned it's Belles as well.

I sit on the small patch of grass behind the stones that line the water. I watch as Belle stares up at the bright blue sky. I pick up a small stone and run my thumb across the smooth surface.

My mother taught me how to skip stones, it used to be our favorite thing to do. My mom, dad, and I used to take trips down to any body of water we could find. My father with his fishing pole and my mother with her sketch book.

My father would sit in the dirt or on a rock, and cast his fishing line in. He didn't catch things often, but if he did he let them go right after. He once caught one and was so excited about cooking it for dinner. As soon as I heard he wanted us to eat it I freaked out. I asked him why he wanted to kill the poor fish, and he told me, "Roman, it won't hurt him. Fish don't feel pain." And you know what I did, I grabbed the fish out of his hands, and threw it back in the water.

My dad wasn't mad, and ever since that day he's thrown every fish back. Now that I'm older, I've told him that he can bring them home for dinner, but he refuses.

My mother used to bring her sketch book, and she would sit and sketch everything she saw. She would hum softly to herself, and watch me and my father. When she didn't feel like sketching, or was done for the day, she would teach me to skip stones.

She would stand behind me, and help my hand hold the stone. She would always say, "make sure your facing the side, not forward." Just like I did with Belle.

"What are you thinking about?" Belles voice brings me out of my thoughts.

I pick my head up, my eyes meeting hers as she walks out of the water. Water drips down her body, dipping between her breasts, and down her thighs. Her body looks incredible in the bikini she is wearing. She brings her hands up to her hair, and pushes it back out of her face.

"Just thinking about my parents." She hums as I hand her a towel. She wraps the towel around her body, taking a seat next to me.

"What are they like?" She questions.

"They are the best people I know. They met in college and have been in love ever since. My mom is pretty quiet around most people, but if she feels comfortable with you, she is the most talkative person ever." I smile as I talk about her.