Chapter 22: One Step At a Time

Song: Dancing after death by Matt Masson

The sound of someone talking quietly wakes me up out of my deep sleep

The sound of someone talking quietly wakes me up out of my deep sleep. I keep my eyes closed, not ready to wake up yet. The mystery person talks again, and then I feel something wet touch my hand.

"Willow King!" I finally recognize the voice as Romans, "let's go, you are going to wake her up."

Willow whines softly, nudging my hand with her head, before I hear her nails tap against the floor and she moves her head away from my hand.

"Don't even think about jumping up there." Roman scolds.

A small smile makes its way onto my face at his motherly tone.

"Come on up girl." I croak out, my voice deep, and my throat incredibly dry. I slowly open my eyes and see a flash of golden fur before I feel Willow settle down next to me.

I turn my head to see Roman leaning against the doorframe, in only a pair of grey sweatpants. His whole upper body on display. My eyes take in his tattoos and his abs, before they reach his eyes. His hair is messed up from sleep, and a small smile graces his lips.

"Morning Beautiful." He makes his way over to me and sits on the edge of the bed. "Sorry for waking you up. Willow seems to really like you, and has been waiting outside the bedroom door all morning for you."

I grin as I tilt my head to look at Willow. She stares back at me, cocking her head to the side. I bring my hand up to her face, cupping it in my palm. She leans into my touch and closes her eyes for a moment.

"I already love her."

"It's not hard to love her that's for sure." I turn back to Roman, he's looking at Willow lovingly.

"No it's not." I agree.

I pull myself up into a sitting position, readjusting the pillows behind my head so that I'm not leaning against the wood headboard.

I take the chance to look around his room. The walls are a dark grey, and dark wood furniture is placed around the room. Straight in front of the bed is his dresser, a t.v placed right on top. Picture frames are hung on the walls, some of him and his family, other of friends, and pictures from boxing matches. A door is next to his dresser, which I remember seeing him go in to use the bathroom. A giant window covers the right wall.

His bed is placed in the middle of the room, small dark wood bedside tables on either side, each with a lamp on them. The bed is covered in black sheets and comforter.

And this has to be the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in.

The corner of his room has a small light grey chair, a pair of shoes littered in front of them. A wooden bookshelf is next to the chair, covered with small personal items, a few books, more pictures, and trophies from some of his wins. A door leading to what I assume is his closet is next, and right next to it is the door that leads outside.