Chapter 33: I'm Sorry

Song: conversations in the dark (song is in the middle of chapter so wait to play it until you see the bolded words)

I wait patiently and watch as the metal circle in the snack machine rotates for a second before stopping completely.

"Ugh." I throw my head back as I fish out another dollar from my pocket.

I straighten out the bent dollar bill before inserting it into the vending machine, but just my luck, the machine spits it right back out.

"Come on!" I bang on the glass, "I just want some fucking Doritos." I complain and pull the dollar pull out of the slot.

Whatever, I move to the drink machine next to it and put the same dollar I used on the other machine into the money slot. The machine thankfully takes it and I press the button for an orange Gatorade, aka the best flavor.

The machine spits the drink out and I reach my hand into the slot only to pull out a water bottle, "what the?"

I try again and feel around the slot but come out empty handed, "oh come on!"

I groan and lean my head against the vending machine and shut my eyes. This night has been awful. We have been here for four hours and have gotten an update every hour, but we still aren't allowed to see her.

I twist the cap off the water bottle and chug the whole thing on the way back to the waiting area.

"I thought you were getting a snack?" Kai asks as I throw the empty water bottle in the recycling bin.

"The stupid machine ate my dollar and didn't work and then on the second try it spit it back out." I pout as I sit in the uncomfortable chair in the waiting area, "then!" I turn to him, "the fucking drinks machine gave me the wrong drink."

"Alright, calm down." Kai laughs.

"I'm just so frustrated." I sigh.

"I know, me too."

"Tonight was supposed to be the perfect night, I had it all planned. It was the perfect date, and then my worst fears came true. And now I'm not even allowed to see her." I unbutton the cuffs of my dress shirt and roll them up.

"Roman, she's going to be okay. All thanks to you."

"I hope."

"Mr.Vine?" My head snaps up to the nurse standing in front of Jackson and Will.

"Yes?" Will asks anxiously, both of them stand up and Jackson wraps his arm around Wills waist for comfort.

I have really gotten to know the two of them these past four hours, and they are probably the nicest people I have ever met. They have both been incredibly nervous while sitting in the waiting area, so nervous that Jackson had a panic attack and Will had to pull him outside.