Chapter13

"I used to advertise my loyalty and I don't believe there is a single person I loved that I didn't eventually betray."
- Albert Camus,

********************

Nina:

The moment I heard Ethan closing the door of the apartment, I hopped out of bed. I headed to the bathroom first to take a much-needed shower. After drinking a steaming hot cup of coffee, I deemed myself ready to finish this most detestable mission.

I went back to my room and dialed Alberto's number. It took him three times to answer my call.

"Damn it! It is eight in the morning. Why are you calling so early?" Alberto answered with a groggy voice.

"Because I missed your voice." I rolled my eyes at his childish behaviour. He was a baby in a big man's body. "Now, I have the opportunity to carry out your mission. Give me the details." I said, not giving him the chance to speak more of his nonsense.

"From where are you talking to me? Are you sure you are safe? I don't want my life on the line because of a stupid decision on your part."

I snorted. Of course, he thought about himself before anything else. I always wondered what crime I committed to deserve the punishment of being stuck with a selfish man as a boss. I took a deep breath to calm myself before I answered.

"Do you think I am this useless, Alberto? I checked the security system in Ethan's house. I am safe inside my room."

"Good, then I will connect you to Allen now. He will take care of everything related to security. He is good at his work."

And with that, he ended the call. I waited for another five minutes before Allen called me.

"Hello Nina, are you still beautiful?" These were the first words he said to me. I chuckled at him and was surprised that his words didn't rub me the wrong way.

"Allen, you know that my life literally depends on you. Please turn on your smart version."

"I will let nothing happen to you. Trust me, beautiful." Allen said in a high-pitched voice.

"Okay, I will trust you. But if I die because of you, my ghost will haunt you forever." I said in a dark voice, which caused him to laugh some more.

"Okay, don't move from your room until I tell you so." Allen's voice became serious, and I knew it was time for business.

He was silent for a few moments before he spoke again. "I managed to hack into his cameras. They are out of service for the next two hours."

"Won't they notice this?" I asked with suspicion.

"No, I made sure the cameras will continue recording as if everything is normal. They just won't detect you." Allen answered with what I can tell a proud voice. I couldn't blame him since I was impressed with his abilities as well.

I went out of my bedroom and entered Ethan's office. It wasn't the first time I visit this room, but I found it intimidating and suffocating. I sat in his chair and turned on his laptop.

"There is a password," I spoke to Allen when the box demanding I enter a password appeared in front of me.

"Wait a minute. I will crack it for you."

True to his words, a few seconds later, Ethan's desktop appeared on the screen, and I sighed in disappointment. For a moment, I hoped Allen wouldn't be good enough to access Ethan's computer.

"You don't want to do this," Allen stated from the other side.

"Does it matter? I don't have a choice."