Chapter16

We cast away pricless time in dreams, born of imagination, fed upon illusion, and put to death by reality.

-Judy Garland.

***************

Nina:

My heels clicked loudly with every step I took down the silent street. Two blocks away from the ball's hall, a black limousine with tinted windows waited for me.

Taking a final deep breath and painting a naïve look on my face, I opened the door and got inside.

Andrea and Maksim were sitting next to each other and gave me wide victorious smiles. I took the seat facing them and looked around the fancy ride.

"We thought you weren't coming," Andrea commented and took a sip from her glass of champagne.

I sighed dramatically and shook my head in tiredness. "It was so hard to evade my bodyguard. He followed me like a shadow."

"How did you manage to get away from him? He seemed like a serious man." Was that admiration I caught in Andrea's face? I hid a snicker at the prospect of her having a crush on Ethan.

"Yes, he doesn't play around. He takes his work seriously, and my father trusts him. I hope my escapade won't land him in trouble." I said worriedly, while playing with my hands.

"You didn't answer my question," Andrea said sharply.

I could hear doubtfulness in her voice and had to think fast of something believable to tell her.

"I went to the bathroom downstairs with him after me, of course. I stayed in there for a long time, and when he asked what was wrong. I told him I had a problem and needed help." I managed to make a blush cover my face before I continued speaking. "I told him I had my period and needed his help...you know..." I trailed off and was satisfied when Andrea laughed loudly.

"You are sure a creative little thing." She said approvingly.

"Beautiful and clever, we got the full package," Maksim added from his side.

I just grinned at them and looked out the window, pretending I was fascinated by the streets we passed. In reality, it was my desperate attempt to keep myself calm and stop any brewing panic attacks.

"Where are we going?" I asked after some minutes of total silence.

"We are going to my summer estate. You will have so much fun there." Maksim said with a wink.

"I can't wait," I said in delight and didn't resist the temptation to clap my hands to add effects. Andrea shot me an annoyed look while Maksim was happy to have a stupid girl in his clutch.

The highway ended, and the driver took a turn to the right. We entered an isolated area that was surrounded by tall trees that you could barely see anything.

"Do you live here?" I asked with my eyebrows raised.

"Yes, dear. I like calm places away from the hustle and bustle of the city." Maksim spoke pleasantly, but his voice was like shreds of ice casting a cold spell on everything in their vicinity. I chose to keep my silence for now and see how things would go.

After driving through another long paved road, the driver parked in front of a huge brick mansion. I waited for Andrea and Maksim to descend the limousine before I followed them on hesitating steps.

Maksim extended his hand to me, and I took it, suppressing the desire to gag when his cold hands clasped mine tightly.

We proceeded to the large double door where a man in his late fifties stood waiting for us. He bowed deeply, and Maksim gave him instructions in Russian, to which the man nodded and left us.