Chapter20

"When we are tired, we are attacked by ideas we conquered long ago."

Friedrich Nietzsche

****************

Ethan:

I opened my eyes and stretched my aching neck. I looked around and realised I was sleeping on the sofa.

Soft breaths hit my chest, and I looked down to find Nina's head resting on my shoulder. She looked serene and at peace with her usually, fiery eyes closed. I ran my hands through her soft brown tresses.

I smiled as I remembered how we stayed down here and watched a movie together. Nina tried to cheer me up, and I appreciated her efforts. But seeing Hunter out of

nowhere was a shock to my system.

I wanted to hug him, to apologise and make everything better. But I was frozen and couldn't move.

I looked at the clock on the wall and saw it was already eleven in the morning. I shook Nina gently, but she only stirred and went back to sleep. I shook my head and tried harder. Her light brown orbs stared at me, and she looked disoriented for a few moments before she jumped from my hold and stood up.

"What am I doing here?" Nina said in confusion as she ran her hands through her wild hair.

"Good morning to you too. I think it is obvious you had slept here." I sat up on the sofa and looked at her with a lopsided smile.

"What? Why did we sleep here? I don't understand." Nina demanded with her hands on her hips.

"If I remember correctly, you chose a boring movie and forced me to join you. So you can't stand here and blame me because I dozed off." I shrugged my shoulders and got up.

"You are blaming me? The nerve. I am not arguing with you as I know it is futile. I am going to get ready for the day." Nina huffed and started climbing the stairs.

"Half the day is already gone. We will dress for the mission, eat breakfast, and be on our way." She turned around and glared at me.

"Sir, yes? sir." She mocked and hurried to her room. Nina was something else? and living with her never gets boring.

By the time we finished breakfast and got dressed, it was three in the afternoon. I locked the doors and windows since I was uncertain if we would come back here or not. It all depended on the instructions father would issue for the fourth mission.

The sun was setting beautifully by the time I pulled into the harbour. Nina and I exited the car and headed to the building, where we would execute the operation.

Taking the stairs to the roof, we settled on top of the building. We sat side to side and waited for the night to fall. Nina ran her hand lovingly down her rifle as if she was caressing a baby or something dear to her.

"This a fine firearm. I have never used anything like it." Nina said in wonder.

"Yes, we aim for the best, darling. By the way, did you perform a lot of missions?" I asked while loading my own weapon. Nina contemplated my question for a few seconds before she answered.

"Yes, before I decided to take a shot at joining you, I had my contacts. I conducted several assassination operations. They were all successful as I don't tolerate the idea of failing."

I admired her for the way she talked about her accomplishments. She was proud and demonstrated an immense amount of power and control.

We waited until darkness dominated the whole area before we got in position. I took the right corner of the roof while Nina took the left side.