Chapter14

"The most courageous act is still to think for yourself. Aloud."

Coco Chanel

***************************

Nina:

It was pitch black outside when the car came to a halt in front of a large building. It was covered by thick trees and nearly invisible. I opened the door hastily and hurried out of the vehicle. I leaned against a nearby tree and took deep breaths.

Ethan was by my side and crouched beside me. He ran his hand through my brown curls. Surprisingly, the motion soothed me, and my heartbeats slowed down.

"What's wrong?" Ethan asked gently.

"You drove through the dark without highlights and at a neck-breaking speed. My heart can't take this, Ethan." I answered honestly.

"You fear is irrational, Nina. You must overcome it, or you will fail. I didn't turn on the highlights because I didn't want anyone to detect us." Ethan spoke firmly but in a kind tone.

His words were accurate, but they hurt as well. I knew my fear of riding cars would be a hindrance on my way to success. I did everything to overcome it, but it was always in vain.

It wasn't just fear of what will happen. It was a nightmare that keeps repeating in front of my eyes every time I sit in a damn car.

"Let's go," I said as I got up from the ground, choosing to ignore Ethan's comment.

To my relief, he didn't force me to say anything, and we just walked the short distance to the warehouse's entrance.

We could see a dozen guards or so in black suits walking back and forth with guns strapped in their arms. They were well-built and surpassed us in numbers.

"I will take the left side while you take care of the right. Try to make as little noise as you can." Ethan ordered and waited for me to nod my head in understanding before he moved to the other side.

I walked with silent steps towards the right side of the warehouse. I waited until one of the two guards moved out of my line of view before I made my presence known.

I tapped the remaining one on his back, and when he turned to face me, I didn't give him the chance to be surprised as I punched him hard in the face. He fell to the ground with a loud thud.

SO much for not making noise!!

I cursed under my breath and started running as I could hear heavy footsteps coming my way. I led them to the end of the right side, where boxes and tables were littering the ground. It was the perfect place for me to get a shield from their expected assault.

Four armed men appeared in the doorway, and I started firing my gun without delay while hiding behind a steel table.

Bullets flew around me, but I managed to shoot three of them with little difficulty. The last one proved stubborn and challenging to beat.

Suddenly my surroundings grew silent, and I stepped out of my hiding spot. With cautious steps, I moved through the three unconscious bodies.

A hand gripped my hair from behind, and I winced in pain. "Did you think you would win this easily?" A man whispered in my ear.

I knew the bastard was still alive, and I must end him the hard way. He thought he tricked me into going out and facing him, but he didn't know what would hit him. He wanted to combat against me. Fine, he will get his wish.

In a swift movement, I elbowed him hard in his ribs. He let go of my hair and doubled over in pain. I always had a soft spot for guards, but this one wouldn't get any from me because he dared to touch my precious hair.