Chapter21

You will always fall in love, and it will always be like having your throat cut, just that fast.

—Catherynne M. Valente

***************

Nina:

"I never thought I would visit all these countries in my lifetime," I said from my seat in the private jet.

Ethan just nodded his head and continued staring out of his window. I sighed loudly and said in exasperation.

"It had been a whole week since your encounter with your father. Stop pouting."

Ethan glared at me and spoke in his dull tone. "I am not pouting. I am just thinking."

"Stop denying the obvious. You are pouting." I insisted.

"I am not."

"You are."

"I am not."

"You are."

"I am... Oh! For god's sake. Stop doing that, Nina. You are being childish."

I laughed at his expression. Sometimes, I forget he is a mafia prince. "Seriously, Ethan, let it go. You haven't been yourself since that day."

"Try having a dressing down from Damian Salviatti and let me know how you find it. He is a tough man, and I know he means every word he says." Ethan said in a distant voice, as if he was reliving every word he heard from his father.

"Tell me about it. Damian is not related to me, but I know he is harsh." I agreed with him as I have noticed how hard Damian's eyes were. Whoever said that eyes are the window to a man's soul was right.

"He had always been like this. He can give it to you without any sympathy. Even when I was younger, he didn't show mercy. But you know what was the difference?" Ethan asked with a nostalgic smile.

"What?"

"When I was younger, he never stayed angry at me. It was a rule to let him finish speaking first, or whoever was on the receiving end of his tongue lashing would face dire consequences. But the moment he said I was dismissed, I would cling to his leg and remain that way until he softens and hugs me. I stopped doing it when I was ten because I thought I was old and didn't need hugs, but I wish I had never quit this habit."

"You miss him," I said as realisation hit me.

"To be honest, yes. My father is a severe man. He doesn't believe in second chances and leniency." Ethan paused and breathed deeply, before he spoke again.

"He loves us with all his heart. He can ground you for months with nothing to do apart from staring at empty walls, but he had never struck any of us in anger. He is a fair man, and his actions from last week are justified. It is my fault for driving him to shout at me."

I unbuckled my seatbelt and moved to sit next to Ethan. "You are lucky."

My words caught his attention, and he looked at me with a curious look, implying that I should explain.

"My father was a great man as well. His love for us was unlimited and unconditional. I remember his smile and gentle touch. He was the strongest man I have ever known. He is no more, but I will never forget him."

It was the first time I spoke about my father since his funeral.

"I am sure you think I am ungrateful for treating my father this way." And that's why I like Ethan. He didn't dwell on the fact that I lost my father and needed comfort or apologies. He just moved on because he understood how much it would hurt to talk about someone I lost.