Chapter40

Hello everyone!

Here is a new chapter.

Enjoy!

*****************
Ethan:

The light blinded my eyes, and I groaned, but no sound came out of my mouth. I can't even tell if I was able to open it or not. My body was stiff and I felt paralysed. I wanted to move my taut muscles, but I had no energy.

I don't know where I was, but the loud voices hurt my eardrums, and I wanted it to stop. Thankfully, the darkness consumed me again before I had time to dwell on it.

The next time I was conscious, I heard a woman's voice. At first, I didn't decipher the words, but they became clearer, and I recognised the voice as my mother's.

"Come on, baby boy. Open your eyes, please. I don't want to see you in this state and can not do anything about it."

"Mom, don't cry. He will wake up. Ethan is as stubborn as they come. One bullet won't win against him." Another voice joined her trying to give her comfort.

It was Hunter! He was here beside me. The idea gave me a surge of energy I needed.

On the other side, Mom was crying!? The mere thought made my heart ache. Tears didn't suit her beautiful eyes.

I wanted to tell her I was fine. I was there, hearing her, but my eyes were stubborn and didn't cooperate with my wishes. I couldn't stay conscious for long and a deep sleep took over me once again.

The third time I was aware of my surroundings, I felt a horrible pain penetrating my chest. I groaned loudly and forced my eyes to open.

"He is awake. Call a doctor." I heard Hunter shouting and wanted him to stop as it hurts my head so bad, but my throat was dry, and I couldn't force the words past my lips.

Nurses hurried inside the room and injected medicine into the tubes attached to my arm.

Seconds later, I felt relief take over my body as the pain faded, and I looked around. My eyes landed on Hunter who was talking fast into his phone.

I smiled at him when finally he turned his attention to me. "How are you?" I managed to murmur.

"I am the one supposed to ask you this. Do you need anything?" Hunter asked frankly which I found adorable, but I managed to contain my chuckle.

After all, I didn't want to annoy him. To be honest, I liked the worried look on his face. It meant he still cares about me. I wanted it to last as long as possible.

"Water."

Hunter adjusted my bed so I was sitting upright. He took the glass of water on my bedside table and helped me take small sips.

I sighed in relief as the coldness eased my sore throat. "What happened? Why I am in the hospital?" I asked in confusion.

"You don't remember?" Hunter asked with a raised eyebrow.

"No, I am trying to remember what happened, but my mind is blank. I don't have the energy to bring back memories. I think the medicines they gave me are playing with my mind." I confessed.

"Don't put pressure on yourself. You just woke up, and the doctor said you must take it easy." Hunter tried to persuade me to let it go.

"No, I want to remember. You know I hate being in the dark." I said in a serious tone.

Hunter sighed and started telling me the events that happened. As the words were spoken, flashes of memories played in front of my eyes.

Marrying Nina to protect her...