Chapter17

The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. 

-Nelson Mandela

************

Nina:

The small window in the cell indicated it was night outside. The girls and I stayed silent, each one of us in her own thoughts. Suddenly, the metal door opened, and a guard in a black suit entered with trays of food piled in the cart.

The girls stood one by one to take their respective trays. I followed their example and retrieved mine as well. I took back my seat and looked at the food in front of me.

I expected green, disgusting food with polluted water. Instead, tomato soup with fresh bread and cheese. On the side were bottles of cold water and orange juice.

"They like to keep us healthy and fit. At least we eat good food." Ruby commented, and I laughed at her expression.

I never realised I was hungry until the delicious food hit my taste buds. Come to think of it. I ate nothing since the dinner at the ball.

I savoured the food hungrily until my plates were clean. I sighed in satisfaction and closed my eyes for a few minutes until Ethan's voice cut through my thoughts.

"Nina, are you there?"

"Yes," I answered.

"The connection was so bad today, and I couldn't reach you at all. Jason fixed it, but I think we don't have time to speak for long." Ethan explained his absence.

"Yes, I see. Everything is going well here." I assured him so he could ease his mind a bit.

"Wait a minute, why are you speaking loudly?" The confusion in Ethan's voice caused me to let out a chuckle.

"I can now speak freely because I told the girls everything, and we put together an escape plan."

"You did what? How could you trust some girls you just met?" Ethan said in frustration from the other side.

"Ethan, I know a desperate person when I see one. Those girls want freedom, and I am here to help them. To achieve that, I need a team. I can't do it on my own. Last time I checked, I am no wonder woman." I rolled my eyes, waiting for his next words that would surely cause my blood pressure to rise.

"Okay, I trust you. Just be careful, and I will be waiting for updates from you so we can get you out of this place." Ethan said more calmly and reasonably this time.

"Sir, yes, sir." I teased with a smile to ease the tense air between us.

"Don't start, Nina." Ethan admonished, but I could picture the smile on his handsome face.

"Goodnight," I said and cut the call with a touch to the earpiece.

For the second time, the girls looked at me with dropped jaws. I chuckled at their reactions.

"Spill the beans," Nadine said from her spot.

"That was my boss. He is a demanding man and wants everything to go his way." I related fondly while thinking of Ethan's attitude.

"It didn't look like that. I think you are the demanding one, my dear." Ruby teased me with a mischievous spark in her eyes.

"You are in love with him, aren't you?" The ever blunt one, Meriam asked.

"Wait, girls! You don't know Ethan at all. Believe me. I am the naïve one. He is just a devil." The girls laughed at my words. I couldn't blame them because I even didn't believe what I just said.