Day 1 of Captivity

Day 1

I splash water on my face, washing the makeup off. Finally glad to be rid of the chest binder. After the cop incident, we drove across town to her house. She led me inside to a guest room which also had a bathroom. Then she locked me inside.

I haven't seen her since.

I examine my reflection and run my fingers through my short hair. God, I hate it so much. I look like a freaking kid. A boy kid! It's my stupid sharp jawline.

I have to admit though, she has a freaking nice house. She definitely has some money or comes from money. Everything is OCD levels of clean. It all looks so expensive and nice. Way better than my apartment.

Who would have thought a murderer lived like this?

I dry my face off and walk over to the door. It's a key lock. I kneel down and peek into the whole trying to get a better picture of it as if I actually know how to pick a lock. If only I had listened to Lesly and learned. She was always finicky when it came to safety, she's replaced our apartment locks two times because our previous lock was too easy to pick she said. And she installed an alarm system.

The girl is paranoid.

Rightfully so.

If only I was smart like her.

I jump back when the lock turns, then I run over to the bed and sit down, acting like I wasn't doing anything. She opens the door and walks in with a bag of fast food. She tosses it to me and I catch it.

Then she sets two water bottles down on the nightstand. She goes out into the hall and comes back with a tv tray. She silently sets it up in front of me and hands me some napkins. Then she walks over to the desk and sits in the desk chair, facing me and watching me.

I set the food on the tv tray and grab a water bottle.

"What to do with you," she eyed me.

"I won't tell anyone. I swear." I try.

"Yeah right, you've already tried to escape how many times?" she spins around in her chair.

I look down at my food but I'm not hungry.

"Are you going to kill me?" I ask softly.

She's silent for a moment before saying, "I don't know."

I look up at her.

"It wasn't part of the plan, I'm not a serial killer or whatever, but I suppose I have no choice."

I sigh.

There is a long moment of silence.

"Can you just like, make it as painless as possible?" I ask.

"I have to prepare. I can't just do it, how would I get rid of the body? How will I do it? These things take lots of time and meticulous planning. And even the greatest plans go array, exhibit a." she indicates to me.

"I'll admit, dressing up like a man was pretty genius."

"Thank you," she beams in pride.

Maybe if I can get to know her better I can figure out how the heck to get out of here or at least find a way to get some help.

"What's your name?" I ask.

She hesitates.

"You're going to kill me anyway, might as well tell me. Or I'll just keep calling you the killer in my head."

Our eyes lock in some type of battle, her intense blue gaze unwavering. I don't dare blink or look away. Finally, she gives in and says,

"Dakota, my name is Dakota."

Not a name I was expecting, then again what does one expect a murderer's name to be?

"Well you already know my name is Melony," I unwrap my burger.

"They know." She says.

I look up.

"They know you're a witness."

I eye her in confusion.

She gets up and goes into the closet I have yet to look into and pulls out a tv. She sets it on top of the dresser and plugs it in. After connecting it to the cable she turns it on and flips to the news.

"It is nearing 24 hours since Melony Black was taken. Police are now saying Melony may have been witness to a murder, and that the person who took her could be the killer of Antonia Hernandez. Antonia Hernandez was a 23-year-old college student studying law. She was found dead in her home, brutally stabbed, and beaten to death. Police have ruled it a homicide. Melony Black called police from a friend's house just minutes after the murder is suspected to have taken place. The police said in the call that Melony was frantic and feared for her life. If you know anything you are urged to call the tip line."

Dakota mutes the tv.

"You called the police," She says it as a statement and turns to me.

My heart rate increases.

"What did you say, exactly?" she asks.

"I didn't say anything. I just said someone was trying to kill me, that I needed help. That a murder had taken place."

"Did you ever say I was a girl?" she pushes.

I shake my head no.

"Are you sure?" she walks towards me.

"No, I was too frantic I couldn't even get the words out I swear." I quickly say.

"Good, because if you are lying I'll have no choice but to kill you as soon as possible and go on the run." She shrugs.

I can hear my heart in my ears.

"And if I were you," she kneels down in front of me so that we are at eye level. "I'd want to prolong my life as much as possible. Your one and only hope is that I messed up somewhere along the way and the police find me before I can deal with you. I'd make myself comfortable if I were you."

She stands straight and moves to leave.

"One more thing," she moves to close the door. "I don't make mistakes."