Chapter Fourteen

"Who even needs a fucking million dollar watch? I mean, come on!" I threw my hands up dramatically, smiling as Willow laughed.

"I don't know the guy, but I do know we needed the business. Bad."

A scuff behind me had my body freezing, wanting to turn so desperately, but refusing to let the tatted man behind me know I cared for his presence.

"Nice to see you hard at work, Will."

"It's after seven, Tucker. We're closed."

"There are still cars in the bays."

I almost laughed at the scowl I could hear on his face, but I rolled my eyes, not willing to show my notice of his tells. "The cars will still be there tomorrow, too. Now hush. You're ruining girl time."

I felt his furious eyes on my back, burning through my tank. "How is girl time watching... someone carve a face off of a living person? Seriously? What the fuck is wrong with you two?"

"We need to know about criminals, Johnny. It's how us meek little women learn to protect ourselves." I chirped you, lifting my feet to sit cross-legged on the sofa.

"You? Meek? Bullshit."

Dick. He's not wrong, but... I glared at the tv screen. "Shut it, Johnny. They're gonna catch her soon, I know it."

"Her? Nah, it's gotta be a dude," Willow countered, leaning deeper into the couch, completely entranced in the show.

"Nope. Bet me. It's a woman."

"Why do you sound so sure? Is this your autobiography?" Johnny eyed me from his spot, standing with plenty of distance between us. His disbelief was on full display with no attempt to be hidden, though a smirk played under his beard at his own joke.

I stared at him flatly and flipped him off. "Y'all have no faith in me. Look. She takes these women - all incredibly attractive, I might add - by drugging them at her place so she doesn't have to have the strength to carry them anywhere. And she's probably got something about her appearance that she hates because she takes their money makers and fucks them all the hell up, then wraps them up nicely in a blanket once they're deemed ugly by her because she sees them on her level and suddenly has compassion towards them."

The two stared silently at me, eyes scrunched like I had six heads, but I simply crossed my arms and shrugged, holding my ground.

"When I'm right, y'all owe me dinner."

____________________

I dug into the foil pan of pasta in front of me, moaning as the garlic and parmesan hit my tongue. Johnny stared back at me like I was a creature he'd never seen before, eyeing me up like I was about to sprout wings.

"Thanks for dinner, Johnny boy." I grinned when he narrowed his eyes, reaching for my beer.

"You watch shows like that too much apparently. You've learned too much."

I snorted, shaking my head. "Nah. I'm just used to being underestimated as a woman."

Willow lifted her beer with a sarcastic sneer. "I'll drink to that."