Chapter Thirty-Three

~ Three and a half years ago ~

"Dani! Open the goddamn door this second, you pity-party-having little bitch!"

I huffed a laugh from the cocoon of blankets I'd buried myself in on the couch. She was right, and I knew she was, but knowing so didn't give me the motivation to move my ass.

I was angry at myself, more than angry even. It should've taken a hell of a lot more than a man lying to me to get me down, but he'd wormed his way into my heart before I could stop it.

I'd never felt so betrayed. Or stupid.

Sighing to myself, I tugged the fleece material tighter around my shoulder, running my fingers along the underside in comfort. I berated myself mentally for allowing my independent strength to tumble so easily, and in the midst of my badass inner fight with my dramatic feelings, the door swung open.

"Yeah, no. That's exactly what we're not gonna do."

Willow's voice floated through the air for a moment before her hands hiked the blanket up and her fingers coiled around my ankles. In a quick blink, she yanked me off the couch and let me land with a rough thud onto the floor below.

"Ow!" I rubbed at my aching tailbone, having taken the brunt of the force. "What the fuck!"

"Sorry, what was that? I can't hear you with all that pity dick in your fucking mouth." Willow stepped back and leaned casually against the doorway, kicking one heel-covered foot over the other.

My interest piqued at the sight of her shining shoes. I let my gaze roll up her body, up to the short dress covering the tops of her dark, silken thighs, hugging right against her hips and torso, and leading up to cup her tits perfectly.

Well, goddamn. I feel inadequate.

"Hurry up and get showered and dressed. Dress like you remember what it's like to get fucked. And then hopefully you will tonight."

I barked a laugh and pushed myself up and off of the hard floor, tossing my blanket over the back of the couch.

"Careful, Will. You're starting to sound like me."

Her face softened a bit and she offered me a knowing smile. "One of us has to. Come on, D. I told you before that you don't need to tell me what happened, he won't either, but I do need my friend back. I needed her more than I thought, smart mouth and all."

"At least I'm good with the mouth that spews a lot of bullshit, though."

"Hallelujah for that!" With a quick laugh, she turned and headed for the kitchen, pulling cabinets open to look for snacks I sure as shit didn't have stocked.

Well, I sighed, rubbing once again at my sore ass for hitting the deck as hard as it had, better get a shower before she tosses me around like a rag doll again.

And not in a good way.

____________________

"Holy fuck. Now I need to change."

I rolled my eyes, but smirked at Willow's words, making my way down the stairs feeling a hell of a lot more like myself than I had in months. A nice shower, shave, hair and makeup did that in times like this. And I'd needed it. Bad.

I stopped in the foyer, glancing at my friend whose eyes were dancing on my exposed skin. It was a dress I hadn't worn in a long time, honestly had forgotten I'd even had it. But tonight it was sorely needed.

As midnight black as my soul, it clung tight to my body, accentuating my hips and ass and pulling my waist in tighter. But that's where the dress stopped. Instead of a full coverage top half, it branched into two silky, wide pieces that I'd crossed to cover my tits and tied behind my neck, leaving my sternum and top of my stomach open for eyes.