Chapter Thirty-Five

"So what exactly are you saying? You spied on me to get his money? Are you fucking kidding me? You chased me and I fucking crashed my bike because of you! I could've died! And you didn't think to tell me that had been you?"

Tucker sighed and ran a hand through his hair, taking a moment to compose himself before scrubbing a hand over his beard. "I know, and I'm sorry, really, but I never told him shit about you. For whatever that's worth."

I searched his eyes for any sign of deceit, but found none. I crossed my arms over my chest and leaned back against the sink's ledge. "Why didn't you?"

"Because once I saw you, I couldn't form a single word or thought. My brain turned to mush and I couldn't remember a single thing other than needing to know you."

I laughed loudly at his mocking and rolled my eyes, though I was grateful for the levity. "I can't stand you, you know that? Tell me the truth."

He smiled, shrugging softly. "Honestly, I did find you hot as hell, but I hated myself for that for a while."

"No shit," I groaned, remembering the constant tension he put himself - and me - under every time I was near.

"Anyways," he ignored my comment, "I never planned to tell him anything, regardless of who it was. I figured that if I found who was stealing his associates' money, I'd tell him the exact opposite of that person. He would keep sending business my way as long as I was helping him, or what he thought was helping, and he wouldn't know any better once I told him my made-up findings."

"He wouldn't know any better until it happened to the rest of his associates, and then to him himself," I reminded him.

Tucker cocked an eyebrow. "So you did plan to go after him, too, then?"

I smirked. "Why do you say did like I don't still plan to?"

"You slowed down a hell of a lot, and even stopped there a while."

I glared over at him and pushed off of the sink, striding over to stand next to him, my hand on the door's lock. "Sue me. I got distracted."

Tucker's lips danced over my earlobe, tickling my still-heated skin. "Distracted how?"

Clearing my throat and nudging him away with my hip, I unlocked the door and opened it, turning to stare back at him with a wicked grin. "That's no matter to you, Johnny boy. Now. I have somewhere to be."

"And where's that?" He called after me as I left the bathroom, groaning when I let the door go in his face.

"Anywhere but here," I threw over my shoulder, pushing through the crowd. "I don't happen to like being in the presence of liars."

I made my way towards the door, my body tingling under his stare, feeling it radiating through the skin of my back. A quick goodbye nod to Eli, followed by his glaring look of confusion when he noticed the man on my heels, and I was out the door. I headed for the car I knew I'd end up in after the long, stubborn battle I'd inevitably cave at the end of, figuring to make a quicker trip home instead.

I smoothed my skirt down and crossed my legs, ignoring the surprised look I knew was plastered on Tucker's face.

"Home, Jeeves."

"Absolutely fucking not, Barbie. I'm not your goddamn chauffeur unless you plan to fork out some dough."

I rolled my eyes and glanced over, checking if his foot was on the brake and clutch so I could shift from neutral. Naturally, Tucker read my mind before I could touch the shifter, pulling his feet back and planting them square on the floor.