Chapter Thirty-Two

~ Present Day ~

"Wait, you left? Without just talking to him first? Why?"

I rolled my eyes at the interruption, though it seemed to be the norm in this shitty, musty room. Frowning, I turned my glare to the face connected to the sand-colored hair.

"Look, you obnoxious, prying little shit. How Ava puts up with you is beyond me, one. Two, if you'd stop fucking interrupting me, you'd be closer to finding that out right now."

Ignoring my irritation, Hawkins turned to his partner with feigned ice in his eyes. "You've got to be fucking kidding me. You called me dramatic for leaving, but she gets no reaction from you? This is horseshit!"

Miles sat with his face blank, unfazed completely. "My apologies for this idiot, Dani. Please continue."

"But-"

"Hawk, I'd like to get the fuck back to our girl, and I can't do that until you shut your trap. You, of all people, don't get to question her leaving. I understand why you did, but I also understand her reasoning, too."

Hawkins grumbled silently to himself, hunkering down in his chair with a grim expression. I was curious with their past, though simultaneously felt naked knowing Miles had been in my head yet again.

"What the fuck ever. I overreacted, yes. I'm human. But in the moment? It was different." I shrugged nonchalantly and tapped my fingers against the cold table before me.

A feminine laugh tittered from the other side of the door as it swung open, and the familiar blonde it belonged to strode in.

"Liam, I know you're not giving her shit for walking away from someone for full blown betraying her. You walked away because you wanted to fuck someone you thought you couldn't have. Well, at least that was half of it." Ava dropped the pizza box she'd carried in onto the table before plopping down into Miles' lap, facing Hawkins and blowing him a kiss with a grin.

"Well, well, well, if it isn't the consequences of your own actions coming in to bite your salty ass, little bird boy." I baited him, reaching eagerly for the food sitting before me.

A large foot slammed down onto the cardboard top before I could open it, the weight of Hawkins' boot and leg keeping me from my prize.

"You piece of fucking shit!" I growled the words, slamming a fist into the sensitive bend of his knee, watching it jerk slightly under the force.

"Fuck you, you obnoxious little-"

"One minute of peace! I just want one goddamn minute." Miles' voice filled the air, though neither Hawkins nor I flinched.

Ava pinched the bridge of her nose and sighed, patting Miles' chest to calm him down. "Liam, let the woman have her food and you can go back to fighting after. You two have kept her in here all day. She's grouchy with you on a good day. You can't actually think letting her reach hangry is a good idea, can you?"

Hawkins rolled his eyes, but slowly removed his foot, making a show as he slid his heel loudly against the creaky metal of the table it rested on.

"Dramatic ass," Ava whispered, just loud enough to hear, before plastering her most innocent expression on and smiling sweetly over to the grouch at her side.