Chapter Thirty-four

We drove silently through the road, her radio playing softly. She drove us to another town stopping at a local bar. She parked at a corner before getting out. She came over the other side of the car to open the door for me but I was able to come out  before she did.
             We walked inside the bar noticing the few stares from people at her. I felt like punching their faces. She greeted so many people waving at some. She was popular here, maybe she comes here often
          She took me to a corner beside the bar before going to the bar to get us a drink. She came back later with two drinks sitting beside me
         I looked at her brown hair thinking how lovely she looked "Nice hair"
         She touched her hair blushing lightly "thanks". She brought the wine swilling it a little before taking it to her perfect lips. She drank the wine licking her lips which got me excited. Trying not to remember but failing miserable, I thought of  how her body and her perfectly lips felt on mine
          "You should probably stop staring now, I get it I'm pretty"
            I chuckled hardly "when did you get so cocky man"
            Probably when you left the country without telling me
            You knew? I asked surprised. She nodded sipping her drink again
            "There wasn't a need for me to tell you" I saw the same hurt flashed her eyes but it was again when she blink her eyes again
             Right....so how have you been
             I've been good, I write now
             Yeah your books are amazing.....
              You have read them? She nodded.
             Oh.....how about you?
             She scoffed "my life had been gravy lately"
             So you date girls now I asked wanting to know if what I thought was actually true
              Well, not that it's my choice but yeah
            "How about John, does he know" I asked
            We divorced the last time I remember, don't you know that?
            Well that was a shock for me "No I don't!"
            "I sent you a letter, you didn't see it?"
             No I didn't, when? I don't remember Lisa writing to me
              A couple weeks after everything"
              I didn't know....how was it.   
          She sighed drinking again ''It was pretty rough but things are okay, John let me have the custody of the girls"
           That's the least he should do for hitting you"
            You know......I thought things will be awkward between us?
          "You mean after I confess my feelings and I got no response?"
            " I did try later to get to you but you already got yourself with another girl" she says bitterly confusing me the more
          "What are you talking about"
            "You says you love me but five days later, you couldn't even wait for at least a week to get yourself a girl"
           "What  the hell are you talking about, what girl?"
            "Your  girlfriend!, I saw you guys together and you were so happy.....I wanted to speak with you but met your girlfriend instead......
          And?....I pressed on
          "She told me if I really love you I shouldn't show myself to you and seeing you so happy made me think yeah maybe you are happy with her so I left.....
           It was like a bomb was ignited inside me....she tried to see me but was stopped by Jeanie. I didn't want to believe that Jeanie could do that to me, I cried in her arms for six months. She saw how broken I was and she took advantage of that.
           I stood up not knowing what to do, part of me didn't want to believe what Lisa said but I see no reason why she should lie to me "I'm sorry...I..I need to go" I stammered before rushing outside. I could hear Lisa runing towards me asking if I was okay but I was too fast for her to catch up. I stopped a cab leaving Lisa without a second glance.
            I told the driver where I lived....he dropped me off after I paid him off. I walked to the house opening the door with the spear key. I walked in to see Jeanie on the floor drinking. She was wasted lying on the cold floor. She tried to get up when she saw me but instead fell backwards breaking the glass bottle she was holding.
          As much as I hate her right now, I didn't want her to get hurt. I carried her up to our room lying her on the bed. She started weeping holding me back when I tried to leave
           Don't leave me please" she murmured
          I have never seen Jeanie like this, she always the strong one. Seeing her looking so vulnerabel and wasted made me realize that she also has feelings too. I knew she wouldn't do anything to hurt me, she did that to protect me.
              I smiled watching her quite her sobbing untill she finally slept off. I went down to clean the mess in the kitchen before going up again. Seeing that she's sleeping soundly,  I took the other room in the next door.