Chapter 26 [Part 2]

Half past ten in the evening, Jiwon was still awake.

For most parts of the day, she had succeeded busying herself responding to business emails and reviewing worksheet files of accounts that required her attention. Jiwon expected that if she buried herself in a pile of work, she'd be tired enough to the point that her eyes would give up on her.

It didn't happen.

Light filled her room, a muted television in the background. Her laptop screen had slept from being idle for a long while.

Could Seokjin still be awake at this hour?

Jiwon stared at her brother's contact info on her phone. She read his name, glanced away, and read his name again. Before she could change her mind, Jiwon pressed on the call button.

Two rings after, she dropped the call and placed her phone back on the nightstand.

A long, exasperated sigh left her mouth. Jiwon fell back on her bed and closed her eyes, letting her warmth replace the cold surface of her silk sheets. She couldn't understand how her eyes were tired, yet they didn't want to rest.

Jiwon heard her phone vibrate. She sat up and picked up the device.

Kim Seokjin: You called?

Jiwon thumbed in a reply.

Kim Jiwon: Just by mistake

Kim Seokjin: Are you sure?

Before she could reply, her phone vibrated again.

Kim Seokjin: Hey
Kim Seokjin: Are you okay?

Kim Jiwon: I'm alright.

Jiwon almost dropped her phone when the screen changed to an incoming call from her brother. The tiny voice at the back of her mind willed her to answer, but the sudden buzz on her nerves left her too anxious to do so.

What was she going to tell him, anyway?

That's your brother! Jiwon chided herself. Kim Seokjin should be the last person she would shut her doors on. He was basically her whole family at this point.

When Seokjin did not respond to her message, Jiwon waited for him to call again. Minutes passed in a deafening silence, but her phone screen remained black. She unlocked her phone and composed herself. Yet before she could call her brother back, there came a knock on the door.

Jiwon dragged herself out of the bed as if she were carrying her heavy body rather than being in control of her own legs. She pressed on the intercom.

"Who is it?" Jiwon asked, even though she knew no one else would be knocking on her door at this hour other than her brother.

"Wanna eat? Let's go out."

He didn't even answer her question. How typical of her brother. Jiwon unlocked the door.

Outside her room stood Kim Seokjin with a knowing smile on his lips. Though if he were trying to conceal the worry on his face, he barely succeeded.

Jiwon stared at her brother inquisitively. "You mean... now?"

"Yeah." He casually nodded. "Don't think I don't know you've locked yourself in here the whole time," he said. "Just go grab a coat or something."

"Like, we're going out in pajamas?" Jiwon had expected that her brother would want to talk with her, but not particularly in a pajama themed rendezvous.