Chapter 1

Kim Jiwon could hardly remember having a chandelier hanging directly above her bed. Her mornings had always been of an immaculate cream ceiling with specks of sunlight from her windows greeting her awake.

At the pounding of her head, she shut her eyes closed once more, though the tiny voice inside, hinting her that something was wrong remained.

Something was definitely so wrong.

The second time her eyes fluttered open, her body almost jolted up.

Almost.

If not for the heavy weight resting on her stomach, that is.

Gasping, she snapped her head to her left, only to come vis-à-vis with a complete stranger sleeping beside her. She owlishly blinked at him as she gulped, studying his figure. His steady breathing — the complete opposite of hers — touched her cheek with every release of air.

Shit. Shit. Shit.

Jiwon pried herself away with all the strength she could muster, earning a low grunt from the stranger. She then grabbed a pillow, hitting him multiple times whilst she got off the bed and scurried towards the edge.

The room swayed in front of Jiwon as her eyes landed on a pile of clothing resting on the bedside table, and it took a good couple of seconds for her mind to register that those were, in fact, hers.

Panic shooting her veins, she checked her clothing and clutched on her hair incredulously when it dawned on her she was wearing nothing but a plain white shirt and undergarments which she couldn't even assure was hers to begin with.

Hand still pulling the strands of her hair, she bit her lip and squeezed her eyes shut. What exactly had happened? What did she just get into? How in the world did she end up in this predicament?

Her thoughts were disrupted by a low and obviously annoyed grunt and a complaint in a form of a raspy voice. "What is wrong with you?"

Jiwon glared at the now awake stranger who was giving her a blank look, probably more concerned with his sleep than her distress. The two of them shared a meaningful eye contact and a moment of silence to accompany them with it.

Until one of them had enough.

"YAH! Who the hell are you?"

Well, maybe he wasn't as bad as she initially thought. Either that, or he was just nice enough to offer her a cup of ramen and a glass of water to appease her hangover.

However, he had not spoken another word after his kindness — didn't even bother to glance at her right after he had worn his glasses and turned his laptop on as he settled himself across her on the kitchen island. A workaholic, that was her first impression on him.

Jiwon took it as the opportunity to scrutinize him. What peeved her more than still not knowing his identity was her instincts persuading her that he was familiar. Was it possible that her subconscious mind could remember so vividly whatever had happened between her and this stranger for her to think that way?

An endless seam of thoughts swarmed her, only worsening her throbbing head. She wanted to scream and lash out on him, but what would that do? What would it change? Nothing.

At the end of this, she would still have to go home and face her already existing problems. Had her family known about this— no. That was not even an option for Jiwon.

Confused, hungover and distraught. She couldn't even understand why she was still here, sitting across a complete stranger on his kitchen island, even having the guts to eat, when in the first place, she should've rushed out immediately. Nevertheless, totally aware of how stupid she was, she couldn't care less.

Should she even be thankful that she was actually still alive? She wasn't even sure. Heck, she didn't even know what to think of.

Jiwon heaved a sigh, dropping her chopsticks in the cup. "Could you just tell me what happened last night?" she asked, hesitation evident in her almost inaudible voice.

This time, the stranger tore his attention away from the screen and paused. "Do you really want to remember?"

Jiwon's brows furrowed, but a pulsation on her temple prevented her from uttering a word. Maybe she didn't really want to know, after all.

"D-did we...?" Jiwon shook her head in defeat. "You know, let's just forget whatever happened. I'll take my leave now."

Just as Jiwon stood up and took deliberate steps away from the kitchen island, the stranger spoke up again. "Who said you're leaving?"

"W-What? Are you insane?"

A ghost of a smirk tugged on the side of his lips before he stood up and approached her. Leaning closer, he held on her arm, his eyes never leaving hers. "You still owe me for what happened last night."

"Y-Yah!" She retracted her arm, but to no avail. "After you've taken advantage of my situation you have the guts to tell me I—"

The stranger's sardonic laugh cut her off. "I took advantage of you?" he scoffed. "You call my kindness taking advantage of you?"

"But you— we..."

Her loss of words and flushed cheeks only added to the stranger's amusement.

"Just because you woke up in different clothing, doesn't mean we did whatever's going inside your head," he pointed out. "I brought you here even after you threw up on me. Do you think I'd even have your clothes laundered if my agenda was simply to harass you? Have a little piece of logic."

She nibbled on her bottom lip. He was making sense, but how could she be so sure?

"Or should I have just left you stinking on your own spew? If it makes you feel any better, it wasn't me who tidied you up. The mess you imposed on me was enough for me to handle already." He made a face. "Seriously, don't even think about getting drunk if you can't handle yourself."

"So nothing I would regret happened?" she questioned, her soft voice injecting tranquility in the atmosphere.

"You better regret getting drunk and throwing up on me," he nonchalantly replied.

Now those were two different things. Regret throwing up on him? Sure, she probably would. But getting drunk? That was another story. After all, she achieved her goal of forgetting about everything even just for a fleeting moment.

"Any questions left?"

She shook her head cautiously, glancing away from him.

"Good. Now you're aware of all that. You can pay me by joining me for dinner tonight." The words rolled out of his mouth as if it were a simple request of asking her to walk his dog out.

"You want me to repay you by going out with you?" she asked in disbelief and scoffed before mumbling to herself, "And I thought I was the one out of my mind here."

"I just need you to be my date for tonight," he replied, unbothered, as he leaned back on the kitchen counter and crossed his arms.

"Well, I'll have you know that I do not do those kinds of things," she quickly responded.

"I'm not giving you a choice."

"Just get someone else, I'm not doing it," Jiwon shot back with indignation.

"You don't even have to do anything."

Jiwon crossed her arms and neared him. She was trying to connect the dots in attempt to find sense in whatever was happening at the moment. Her hard stare lingered on the dark marbled counter, and she titled her head in thought, glancing cautiously back at him.

"And if I don't agree? What are you gonna do?" she challenged. "Lock me up here?"

"I'm thinking about it," he deadpanned.

Taking a step back, she let out an amused laugh. "Waah, this is absolutely unbelievable."

"So?" He threw her a pensive gaze.

"Alright, alright," surrendered Jiwon, figuring out that there was no other option. "But after this, we part ways and forget any of this ever happened."

"You have my word."