Chapter 4

Before the storm had brewed and managed to spiral its way to her life, Kim Jiwon had already predicted the scenario during breakfast. Incessant lectures as the first meal of the day, as if she were sixteen, instead of twenty-four, over not being home the previous night and for ditching an auspicious dinner meeting — Both of which did not happen.

Instead, her morning had been the total opposite of her prognosticated scenarios. As Jiwon stepped into their dining hall, her father had acknowledged her presence with delight. Mrs. Kim's eyes, although cold and distant, still regarded her arrival. And Seokjin simply lifted his brows at her in greeting.

This should have been the normal morning routine.

Except that Jiwon would often arrive at their wide dining hall whilst everyone was halfway their course, the conversation already at its full swing that she could not catch up even if she tried to. So, she'd often get lost in thought, staring at the view outside their ceiling-to-floor glass windows, watching the gardener do his work.

That was how her mornings usually rolled. With the exception of her and Seokjin exchanging glances occasionally.

Notwithstanding, it had been that way for so long to the point where she could not remember the first time she had witnessed the changing of the seasons through those windows, how the flowers bloomed in spring, how the plants grew dormant by autumn and how they slowly withered in winter.

But that feeling of isolation had turned into a commonplace for her. The solitude now her comfort zone that she'd prefer it over some commentary that might just upset her morning.

And even if it seemed as if she didn't exist within the same corners at all, she did not really mind so much about her unacknowledged presence.

Yet as of the moment, all the attention was on her, and they could actually see her, as if she had done something great, when she should actually be getting in trouble for her actions.

How ironic.

"Jiwon," Kim Seulhee began, her tone stern and cautious. "You never told us about you and Yoongi."

"It's no wonder you keep running away from your previous marriage meetings. I was starting to think you wanted to die alone."

Jiwon mildly coughed on her food.

"Father," Seokjin broke in.

"What? I was just joking." Kim Jungsoo, the supposed to be respectable father, chuckled before continuing with his course. "Can't old people have humor?"

"We should start making the arrangements," suggested Mrs. Kim. "Should I call Mrs. Cho to get us the best wedding planner she has?"

A hesitant smile curved on Jiwon's lips. "Isn't it too early for that?"

"Too early?" countered Mrs. Kim. "In the end, you're still going to marry him."

"Correct," Mr. Kim remarked. "It's best to plan things ahead. Maybe you should take a leave from work and focus on your wedding."

Taken aback, Jiwon shook her head vehemently. "There's really no need for me to take a leave," she said. "And can I– Uh... talk about this with Yoongi first?"

Mrs. Kim sent a questionable look at her way. Then, she shrugged. "Alright... I don't see anything wrong with that."

"The press must know about this soon," noted Mr. Kim.

"Ah, well..." interrupted Jiwon with a dry laugh. "I'd like to talk about that with Yoongi as well."

The Kim siblings discreetly exchanged knowing glances. Mr. Kim shot her a subtle look, and Jiwon could see the dubiousness in his eyes. Nevertheless, he nodded in understanding.