Chapter 24

There had been many instances in Jiwon's life where she had begrudgingly forced herself to stay away and keep out of situations that held potential to stir up the slightest interest of the media towards her.

Being homeschooled majority of her youth, and despite getting enrolled in an educational institution during high school, she was deprived of having friends. More than her responsibilities being the reason behind, it was actually due to the Kims' opposition towards strangers getting close to Jiwon.

The older she became, however, the more resolute she grew with breaking this custom. At twenty, she started going home past the curfew, resorted to breakaways that involved drinking despite her animosity towards alcohol — just because it never failed to rile her parents. Just a little bit of the rebel inside her. Although she'd always regret disappointing her brother and having to call him just to pick her up, not to mention, the hangover that followed afterward.

Nonetheless, Jiwon had never intended to do anything that would cause imminent harm to her family. She'd whine and stir up arguments and commotions within the household when the anchors keeping her in place asphyxiated her, but never did she publicize her grief and complaints. If anything, Jiwon was a person who'd be there in a heartbeat for her family.

Besides, what propelled Jiwon to start acting against her parents was this: The way they limited her and her capabilities, and rendered it was best to just have her marry some socialite, that also, in a way, would bring prosperity to the Kims.

On the surface, it might seem such a nice proposition. Parents wanting the best for their daughter, a life where she did not have to struggle.

But to Jiwon, it didn't appear that way. Not in the least bit.

Throughout her life, she had been confined, doing this and that, whatever she had been told to do, told not to do, and told never to speak of. And despite receiving the pressure and expectations of a society who had a deceptive knowledge about her, a lucky orphan adopted by no other than the Kims, who had to live up to their standards, she hadn't once complained — Even when she deserved none of it and was actually saving the prestigious name of the untainted Kims, particularly her father.

But when even her future was decided for her, Jiwon decided it was time to stop this tyranny.

She had already lost a part of herself, gave it up for the sake of the people around her. Jiwon couldn't afford to lose the remnants of her real self anymore. It ate her inside just by thinking of it, evoking every insecurity and doubt about her identity, as if she were living a life of someone else.

How could she live a life she didn't own?

More so, how could she own a life she couldn't live?

The questions floated in her mind as Jiwon set her utensils down on her plate where her barely touched food was beginning to grow cold. Keeping her head low, she lifted her gaze, peeking through her lashes and settling her attention back to her plate. Jiwon sighed to herself.

After the media had received a green light from Kim Jungsoo, allowing them to broadcast the auspicious engagement within the Kims and the Mins — a supernova of opulence within the higher society — the news had never ceased to be on the frontlines, nothing less than the talk of the town in chatters of wonder and amazement.

Jiwon might have changed her perspective about Min Yoongi in those days that she had spent time with him, but it wasn't enough to change her mind from getting out of this marriage.

"Are you okay?"

Jiwon glanced at Yoongi and gave a small nod, wondering why she even did so when her presence practically gave it away that she wasn't — Or at least to Yoongi's observation it did appear so.

How could she be okay with being at a dinner where all the exchange was about the engagement party. She couldn't even understand why her cousins Kim Namjoon and Kim Taehyung should be here.

Yoongi shot her a skeptical look, probably just for the sake of letting her know that he wasn't convinced that she was, but didn't pry further.

"We are glad to have met Jiwon," Mrs. Min said, "and it's much delightful to us that they were actually already together. Our son hadn't gotten along with anyone, we were starting to worry we wouldn't live long enough to see a grandchild." The elders shared their laughter.

"All the more that their marriage should be held the soonest," encouraged Mrs. Kim.

"Truly." Mrs. Min blinked thoughtfully and turned to Jiwon and Yoongi's direction. "But not to pressure you two. While we may be anticipant, take all the time you need. Your happiness matters the most."

"It is their wedding, after all," Mr. Min commented.

This time, Jiwon's small smile wasn't forced. She felt apologetic. Fooling her parents was one story, but the Mins? Every passing second of the lies tapped at her heart. Yoongi's parents were too genuine and kind for her to drag them into this.

"Time stops for no one." Jiwon heard her father, only making her more pensive.

"Even though Jiwon is only our adopted daughter, we only want what's best for her."

Mrs. Kim's remark made Jiwon's stomach churn, she almost laughed in disbelief. Jiwon took the glass of wine and drank its contents calmly as if to flush whatever words she wanted to say down on her throat.

Yet much to Jiwon's dismay, the further the conversation went on, the more she felt the constriction in her lungs, the rupture forming in her gut. Her grip on the utensils tightened. She struggled to take a deep breath in.

"Jiwon's a very lovely person. Lately, our son has been getting out of his office more often and he seems to have time to eat. Jiwon is taking good care of him."

"She'll make a good wife," Mr. Kim, commented.

"Jiwon is also very lucky to be in your family. You have really raised her well."

The creak from Jiwon's chair broke the enthusiasm in the air. All eyes were on her as she excused herself from the table, not even waiting for permission to be dismissed.

"Is there anything wrong?" Jiwon faintly heard before everything was completely out of earshot.

Everything. All of this is just so wrong. She wanted to scream those words to anyone who could hear her.

But she never turned back again.

— ✿ —
❝hi, it's been ageeeees! I'm so so sorry for such a late update (late is a huge understatement, I know). is anyone still reading this fic right now? but anyways, thank you so much for being extra patient with me. let me know your thoughts and how you think the story's going. the next chapter will be up this May. I hope everyone is doing well. stay safe and healthy, alright? all the love! ♡❞