Chapter 7

"So Eun-ssi?" Jiwon called towards the door with a calm voice, opening folders, one after another and placing them aside once she was done checking their contents.

"Yes, Ms. Kim? Can I help you with anything?"

Jiwon pressed her fingers on her forehead and glanced up at her assistant with a questioning look.

"Have you seen the folder with the stock analysis? The one for last month?" Jiwon reached for the bureaus of behind her desk and inspected each compartment. "I've been looking everywhere for minutes now."

"Oh that," So Eun knowingly said, earning Jiwon's attention. "Your father called and told us to have certain files assigned to someone else."

"He did?" asked Jiwon, consternation written on her face. "Who's in charge of the file then?"

So Eun sent an apologetic smile at her. "We weren't really informed, but Mr. Kim made sure you don't have much workload."

Jiwon need not to know beyond that to surmise that this had something to do with her engagement. In fact, her engagement had everything to do with this.

Her family was taking it to their own hands for her to be able to focus on planning for her wedding — A wedding that was totally not going to happen, she mentally noted.

So when she inquired about her meetings and learnt that even most of her appointments were cancelled, she couldn't help but think that everything was really getting out of hand.

Jiwon decided to pay her brother a visit and instantly shook her head in disbelief once she saw the tower of files stacked on his table as she entered his office.

"When you go to my office, it appears like there's nothing this company is ever busy with, but when I go into yours, it gives me the impression that I had been working at a different company."

Seokjin snapped his head up and blinked at her, surprised. "What are you doing here?"

"Complaining that I get less work each day while you seem to have an overload of papers to work on." Jiwon plopped herself down on the couch, placing a cushion on her legs.

"Then why are you complaining? Shouldn't you be happy?"

"All they ever made me do is review accounts, and its the only thing I get assigned with when I could surely do other stuff. Now they even take that away." Jiwon pursed her lips into a grim line.

Seokjin hummed, signifying that he was listening as he continued his work.

"They can't deny it. They place me on a high position but give me work that doesn't even par with it nor my salary. Why don't they give the position to someone who deserves it? I even think So Eun could replace me at this point."

"Dad just doesn't want you to work too much," reasoned Seokjin.

"Either that, or he doesn't think I could handle other work."

"I'm sure he doesn't mean that."

"Oppa," cried Jiwon, raising both hands. "I know we both know the truth here!"

Seokjin sighed, dropping his pen down and sent a pointed gaze at his sister. Jiwon gave him a meaningful look behind her gloomy eyes, brows raised subtly as if she had won the discussion.

"Fine, you win," Seokjin relented. "But we both know that it doesn't make you less of the person you are. You're capable, okay? No matter how discouraging it gets, remember that you're doing great.

"You've achieved so many things in your life for you to discredit yourself. You didnt get your degree with honors for nothing, you've done a lot for homeless and abandoned children, and you were close to performing in theaters as a pianist with people applauding you for your talent if only our parents hadn't interfered and— Yah!" Seokjin pointed a finger at her sister.

"Are you crying or are you laughing? Just choose one, don't do both at the same time you look like a lunatic."

"Sometimes I should really take a video whenever you do your litany."

Seokjin grunted, shaking his head. "I know I'm so handsome, but that's totally unnecessary. And stop provoking me, you do this on purpose every time. Stop it." He emphasized the last two words.

"But I was only complaining a little." She chuckled and leaned back on the couch, staring straight ahead at nowhere in particular.

"I still know what's going on in your mind. I just don't want you to doubt yourself when things like this happen."

The Kim siblings chatted longer, although Jiwon's inquisitions over her brother's work covered most of the conversation. Unlike her, Seokjin was being prepared for much complex aspects of their business, being the heir to their family's treasure.

Eventually, Jiwon had to leave him to his work. Her talk with Seokjin had eased her a little, made her accept her proposition and that she couldn't really do anything about it for now. It was times like these when she really needed her brother to put some encouraging sense into her mind — something she was truly thankful for.

On her way back to the office, as she placed her phone back to her dress pocket, Jiwon spotted two familiar ladies meandering towards her direction, about three office cubicles away from her. Her shoulders tensed up all of a sudden, taken aback when she had confirmed who they were.

And just when she was about to turn back on her heel, Mrs. Min called her name with glee. "Jiwon!"

Busted!

The tentative expression on Jiwon's face was immediately replaced with a warm smile as her gaze went from Min Hyo, then to Kim Seulhee.

She was conflicted between greeting back or just keeping the facade. She wasn't even sure of what to say in the first place. So she just stood there... perhaps a little too awkward for her liking.

"Have you prepared for the trip already?" Mrs. Min spoke up, brushing away the dead air.

Jiwon's brows shot up, confused. She glanced at the other woman, wondering if she had any idea about what Mrs. Min was talking about.

"Mrs. Min was just telling me she set up a vacation for you and Yoongi," explained Mrs. Kim, nonchalantly.

"A vacation?" Jiwon asked politely.

Mrs. Min chuckled and muttered something about this being exactly the reason she planned a vacation — which Jiwon didn't exactly understood. The two ladies exchanged words, whereas Jiwon just stood there trying to get a hint of what was going on.

After so, Mrs. Min returned her attention to a still very clueless Jiwon who was still attempting to keep her smile.

"Hasn't Yoongi told you yet?"

Just in case anyone will point this out, I'm aware women in Korea keep their maiden names after marriage, but I'll just keep addressing the mothers as Mrs. Kim and Mrs. Min to avoid confusion. thank you for reading and don't forget to leave a comment or a vote if you feel like doing so