Chapter 19

He wasn't answering.

Jiwon shifted on her heel, gripping her clutch tightly. She pressed on the elevator button, her other hand occupied with her phone. The moment she and Mrs. Min had parted ways, Jiwon had been ringing Yoongi for the past few minutes — all of which ended up on the list of missed calls on his unattended phone.

At the sound of a ting and the slide of the metal doors, Jiwon stepped out of the lift. Her feet moved on their own, confident of where they were headed to. Jiwon turned at the corner, and perhaps a little too impatiently, pushed on a glass door, entering the waiting area of a familiar section as though she were an uninvited guest ready to confront Yoongi over her anger — a stark opposite of what she actually came here for.

Jiwon's eyes rounded, her head snapped up, and only at that moment did her consciousness return when the main door to Yoongi's office didn't budge. She glanced around and noticed even Hyangmi wasn't in her desk.

Taking a step back, Jiwon dropped her hands to her sides. Silence filled the air, save for the barely audible long beeps from her phone due to another failed call.

She didn't understand it either — this sudden urge to reach out to someone, her longing for a company to keep her rooted. And that was just the first part. Because what Jiwon dreaded the most amidst this yearning, was the possibility of losing herself beneath the clouded haze in her mind.

Muffled clinking heels and incoherent exchange of words caught Jiwon's attention, their volume gradually growing. The glass door was pushed open, revealing two ladies entering the waiting area.

"Also, he wants the memo sent to the stockholders before the day e— Jiwon-ssi?"

Jiwon gulped, took a deep breath in and turned on her heel. Hyangmi muttered to the lady she had been conversing with as she handed the clipboard, and gave instructions. The two exchanged nods, and the other lady was soon out of sight.

"Where's Yoongi?" Jiwon asked before Hyangmi could even speak, her words almost in a whisper.

Noticing the difference in Jiwon's usual aura, Hyangmi offered a weak smile. "He's currently in a meeting—"

"Until what time?" Jiwon interjected, and her eyes widened as her actions hit her. She blinked at Hyangmi, who then seemed to understand and took no offence in it. The assistant simply nodded and smiled assuringly.

A resigned smile slipped on Jiwon's lips. "I'll just wait here."

Hyangmi glanced through the corner of her eyes in contemplation, expression hesitant.

"His current meeting doesn't end until three, and he's leaving for another meeting thereafter," Hyangmi informed, checking her wristwatch. "But if you wish, I can deliver a message right now while he's still here and tell him you're here."

Jiwon's lips curved upwards reaching her eyes, but her emotions didn't match her facade. "It's alright," she breathed, cupping her elbows. "Has he eaten yet?"

Hyangmi nodded.

"Just do me a favor and remind him to eat and rest after his meetings," requested Jiwon. "Can you do that for me?"

"Certainly, Ms. Kim."

Jiwon ruefully chuckled, shaking her head. "I told you, there's no need to be so formal."

Then, with a dismissive nod, Jiwon went past Hyangmi and out of the office, leaving with the same heavy heart she was carrying as she entered minutes ago.

Except maybe this time with an extra weight of restlessness added to it.