Chapter 9

When afternoon struck, Jiwon and Yoongi had ended up grabbing late lunch alfresco.

They found a restaurant blocks away from the hotel, seemingly amiable enough, and settled with it after minutes of 'How about here?' or 'What do you think?' and 'I'm fine with whatever,' accompanied by banters and sarcastic remarks at every stop.

"That's it! We're eating at the next restaurant we see," was what a famished Jiwon had said, and dragged herself towards the next establishment.

Now at the patio sat the two, chewing on their food in peace. Plants of different kinds adorned the restaurant, each thoughtfully arranged in an elegant manner and gave off a natural ambience. Their dishes didn't disappoint either, and there being only a few diners added comfort to the place.

At least their tramp hadn't been for nothing.

"Noona, did you know that apples are cousins with roses?"

Jiwon snapped her head to the left and blinked at the kid, probably around the age of four. He had squishy cheeks and a bowl cut hair reaching his eyebrows.

A curious smile broke onto her lips and Jiwon tilted her head. "Really?"

The kid nodded. "Apples belong to the rose family. And so do pears and plums."

"And where did you get that?" Jiwon leaned forward, eyes flashing with interest.

"Hyung always tells me stuff when he gets home from work."

Jiwon observed the child as he rambled on. Across the table, Yoongi scrutinized how she paid attention and how the kid seemed comfortably speaking with her despite some of his words and phrases being choppy.

"Ah!" He exclaimed, eyes beaming. "He also said they float in water because they're made up of air."

"Minhyuk, I told you to stay at the counter with Hyungwon." A female server appeared. Distress covered her face as she approached the kid. Immediately, she bent her upper body. "I'm really sorry for the trouble my son had caused you."

"No, it's okay." Jiwon waved her hand in the air dismissively. "He didn't cause us any trouble at all."

Cause if you call this trouble, then what more could my current predicament be then?

She paused, and then slowly asked with concern, "Is there any problem?"

Minhyuk's mother let out a soft sigh. "My husband's sick and I can't leave Minhyuk with him so I had to bring him here today. I really apologize you have to get involved with this." She looked down at her son and whispered, "Come on, lets go back."

"Actually," Jiwon said, "If you don't mind, he can stay with us until we finish."

The mother whipped her head at Jiwon, reluctance hanging on her facade with a hint of pondering. She glanced over her shoulder, surveying the tables still awaiting for her assistance.

"It's really alright. We could use some company anyway," assured Jiwon.

Worry fading away, appreciation brimmed on the mother's lips. "Thank you. I'll leave my son to your care."

Once the mother had gone back to her duties, Jiwon noticed Yoongi giving her a blank look. She shrugged him off with a smile.

"Noona, is he your friend?" The child pointed at Yoongi and an amused grin slipped on Jiwon's lips.

"Does he look friendly?" asked Jiwon.

The child climbed up on the empty seat beside Jiwon and used his small hand as a cover when he whispered to her ear, "He looks nice. But he also looks scary."