16| mother knows best

I woke up the next morning around like 2 o'clock... more like afternoon, but that doesn't matter. At least I actually got some good sleep, minus the fact that the party is soon.

I immediately started getting ready. Makeup, hair, nails, dress. All of those were done.

I looked at myself in the mirror before I stepped out of my room.

I look fucking hot.

I was carrying my heels and running down the hallway to my mothers room. That letter made me want to see her even if I won't be aloud like before.

I knocked on the door, "mamà? È Stella." (It's)

I heard a faint come in. I opened the door slowly to see my poor mother laying in that bed. You could see how sick she was.

"Im not gonna ask you how you are because I know you're not good." I gave her a pitiful smile.

She shook her head with a faint laugh, "you look beautiful, Volpe."

I smiled, "thanks mamà."

She waved at me to sit on the edge of her bed, so I followed.

"They want the key to the safe in Milan, right?" She spoke between coughs.

I widened my eyes, "yes, but... how'd you know?"

She shrugged, "I am a mother, I know everything."

"They said I have the key... Ma, I don't have it?" I shook my head confused.

She sighed and grabbed my hand, "you do have it. It's right here." She opened my hand and rubbed my palm.

"Pardon?"

"The key was implanted into your hand a few years ago. It was and is completely harmless." She explained.

I looked down at my hand very confused, "okay, but why me?"

"I know that your father has mentioned Dante leading the Rhodera mafia once he is incapable of running it, but I disagree. Your brother can be a coward, Stella."

Hmm, I'm starting to open my eyes I think.

"This won't be your brothers mafia once your father passed on the legacy... it will be yours, Volpe."

My mafia?

My mafia.

I smiled and nodded, "I love you, mom."

"I love you too, now get out of here. Go find yourself a boy." She chuckled.

I was about to leave when I turned around, "what happens if I found two potential ones?"

She shook her head with a laugh, "choose wisely and follow your heart. If the other person truly loves you, they will support your decision."

I smiled and left the room, running down the hall with my heels in my hand again. I put them on once I reached the stairs. Guests were beginning to arrive slowly and appetizers had started being served.